Recommend a bass stand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimM, Feb 7, 2002.

1. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I tried search,but neither "bass" or "stand" is a good word to use.too many results.

I have a gigbag thats 20x8x11,it would be nice if it could fit inside,but not absolutely nessesary.My current stand fits,but I need two stands now.The one I have now has to be assembled which is a bit of a hassle,it's the kind with the surgical tubing on chrome tubes.
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    The best one ever (IMHO;)) is the one by QuikLok (spelling?).
    Very simple and solid, no chance to pack it into a gig bag though...

Edit: I realize your gig bag is rather large, may there's a chance
  3. I bought a double stand from GC a few months back since I have a Guitar also and needed a single stand at the studio. Says " On-Stage Stands" on the side. Bit better then the rubber tubing one in quality same desighn though, it breaks down just like the single except the neck holder is double and seperates from the shaft. If a single fits this one should too.

Here is a bad picture of it.

Bass and stand
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Try the Warwick RockStand.

They come in 3 sizes: 3, 5, or 7 basses.

I use one of these now and it works fine. I like a single A frame personally, but when you start having multiple basses, it takes up too much space.
  6. Hamilton Instrument Stand.

Hangs by the headstock. Very stable.
    Don't have to worry about the strap or cord getting hung up on the bottom fork. Stability throughout the entire lenght of the instrument..

Ulitimate also make this style of stand.
  7. I had the Fender Stand in a Bag one, I really like it, and the bag is really small. I actually use the bag for cables and a tuner and stuff, when I don't carry around my gigbag. Unfortunatly, I don't know if I would suggest using this a lot on stage because sometimes the bass can slide off (There is no upper bar to stabalize the neck, so if the bass isnt correctly on there it will easily slide off).
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use the Ultimate one. It folds up very small lengthwise, but when folded up is a bit bulky. Great stand, I think that it's the best single instrument stand on the market. Click on the pic for more info.

9. seamus said...

Try the Warwick RockStand.

I have a 3-space Rockstand and really like it.

10. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Another vote for the warwick rockstand.
    I know it won't fit in a gigbag, but it is very nice.
    I have the 3 bass version. very stable, lightweight, and easy to transport for holding 3 basses.

11. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Sorry, I overlooked the requirement of wanting the stand to be portable enough to fit in your gig bag.

Still, I think folded, the RockStand is easy enough to be carried while your bass is slung over your shoulder. It's a stable stand, and it's a nice way to give your multiple basses a small footprint. :)
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Rockstand, definitely! Best space to bass ratio. :cool:
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I REALLY like these,

I have 2 of them.They won't fit in your gig back but they are 1 piece and fold FLAT and no foam rubber crap to fall/flake off after a year or so use. I've had them for about 4 years and throw them in my truck after every gig. Have not had one complaint about them. I've used the tubular ones and the Hamilton ones, no comparison.
    Highly recommended by cb56
  14. fez

Feb 8, 2002
    K&M makes a heavy duty A frame stand that is pretty compact yet VERY sturdy. They don't work well with basses that have an offset waist like a Jazz Bass,though.
  15. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California

That definitely gives me some ideas.Funny how two completely different stands both have "ultimate" in their names.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's because they are both made by the Ultimate stand company.
  17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm using Ultimate Genesis 100 stands like the one in embellisher's pic. They're my favorite Guitar/Bass stand, and I've tried a lot of different stands over the last 20 years.
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I use the ultimate genesis one with the none adjustable neck but it has arm cradle things that hold the bass. bought it when i was lookin for a stand for my ashbory. This stand won't work to well for wide necks [5 string pilot fits but doesn't go far in]. thats all
  19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I use the ultimate one too. I prefere the adjustable neck one compared to other one. I think they are the sturdiest. A bass won't fall out of that one. Your gig bag can probably hold it, too.
  20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I second cb56!

I have had one of those stands for 7yrs. It´s still as good as the day I bought it!