1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a Bass to Convert to an 8 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by contakt321, Sep 16, 2008.

1. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Inspired by this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468851

I want to do my own 4 to 8 string conversion. Yes, I know I can buy a low-end 8 for this price but I like the custom/project aspect of this.

I am looking for a bass that:

- sells used for $300-400 max
    - is relatively wide at the nut (P-Bass thickness or wider)
    - has a large enough headstock to accommodate the extra tuners

This Ampeg is great, I think an Ibanez musician would be good but they have skyrocketed in price lately. Anyone got ideas for me? Thoughts about doing this?

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

I think Harvey really lucked out w/ the Ampeg, because the large 2+2 layout of the headstock makes it much easier to add additional tuners. 2+2's are rare these days, and large 2+2's especially so, so you'll probably have to hunt around a bit...unless you want to do one of those ugly-ass conversions where the octave strings anchor at the headstock & have their tuners down by the bridge? Then you could use practically any bass. (But if you did that, all of the other reindeers would laugh and call you names.)

I recently did a 5- to 8-string conversion on a Warmoth Jazz Bass clone, but I just had an entire new neck custom built, so I didn't have to deal w/ any of those issues. Total cost was around $700 for the new neck, bridge, & all (8) tuning machines.

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I've had a Framus Nashville converted to 8-string, and it turned out very well. The headstock is 2+2 and takes the extra tuners easily. For the bridge/tailpiece I was able to find a brass combo made by Ibanez. I'll try to put up some pics in a few days.

FN01.