1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recommend a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian D, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    hey,
    i wasnt really intending to buy a bass anytime soon. but my bass is in parts at the moment after a refin and needs some luthier work before i can get it working (january/february due to waiting list)

anywho, i was supposed to be getting a student loan for a laptop but i just cant be bothered with it now and i was just told by the bank that i can get a loan for 500euro ($585) without my parents signing. soooo.....i'm probably gonna get a bass instead of the laptop....

any suggestions?
    i play punk rock...ala bad religion, green day and also some other punk ska stuff, but i also like a lil' bit of jaco....(who doesnt?)
    i'm used to active pickups in my bass ( i got a EMG P running at 18v)

i'm not necessarily looking for a new bass, so maybe some suggestions on what i should look out for and how much they go for?

Brian :p

*sorry bout the long story...oops :bag:

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm not suggesting you go into debt, but if you decide to get a bass, you should consider a G&L L-2000 Tribute IMO. Deep, aggressive, and solid. That and your P should have you covered. Of course, if you're interested in getting something for the Jaco vibe, you'll want a fretless Jazz...a MIM Fender would be fine.

Others will have ideas I'm sure...just getting the ball rolling.

Marshall

3. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    cool, i'll wait for more suggestions.
    i'm gonna look into the G&L anyways...

btw, i was going to get a loan anyway, i NEED a bass, i'm goin' mad without one. i havent played since may :crying: :crying:

Brian :p

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds like you do need one! Are there used basses floating around Ireland? If not, there are often some great deals here on TB! :)

Marshall

5. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    there are but stuff is more expensive here and people generally sell them for more used. for example theres a mim fender p on an irish board for 400euro and a btb 5 string for about 600euro, both are used

good thinkin' i'll check the fs section here on TB.... ;)

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    G&L tribute, cant be beat for the price. Rivals basses three times the cost, and tone like no tomorrow. Warning: a little heavy, p ish neck. good for...well, anything

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    +1 on the G&L tribby, ones i've played were great, you may get lucky like me and find a u.s. one for the same price though, keep lookin'