Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian D, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    hey,
    i wasnt really intending to buy a bass anytime soon. but my bass is in parts at the moment after a refin and needs some luthier work before i can get it working (january/february due to waiting list)

anywho, i was supposed to be getting a student loan for a laptop but i just cant be bothered with it now and i was just told by the bank that i can get a loan for 500euro ($585) without my parents signing. soooo.....i'm probably gonna get a bass instead of the laptop....

any suggestions?
    i play punk rock...ala bad religion, green day and also some other punk ska stuff, but i also like a lil' bit of jaco....(who doesnt?)
    i'm used to active pickups in my bass ( i got a EMG P running at 18v)

i'm not necessarily looking for a new bass, so maybe some suggestions on what i should look out for and how much they go for?

Brian :p

*sorry bout the long story...oops :bag:

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm not suggesting you go into debt, but if you decide to get a bass, you should consider a G&L L-2000 Tribute IMO. Deep, aggressive, and solid. That and your P should have you covered. Of course, if you're interested in getting something for the Jaco vibe, you'll want a fretless Jazz...a MIM Fender would be fine.

Others will have ideas I'm sure...just getting the ball rolling.

Marshall

3. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    cool, i'll wait for more suggestions.
    i'm gonna look into the G&L anyways...

btw, i was going to get a loan anyway, i NEED a bass, i'm goin' mad without one. i havent played since may :crying: :crying:

Brian :p

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds like you do need one! Are there used basses floating around Ireland? If not, there are often some great deals here on TB! :)

Marshall

5. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    there are but stuff is more expensive here and people generally sell them for more used. for example theres a mim fender p on an irish board for 400euro and a btb 5 string for about 600euro, both are used

good thinkin' i'll check the fs section here on TB.... ;)

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    G&L tribute, cant be beat for the price. Rivals basses three times the cost, and tone like no tomorrow. Warning: a little heavy, p ish neck. good for...well, anything

7. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    +1 on the G&L tribby, ones i've played were great, you may get lucky like me and find a u.s. one for the same price though, keep lookin'