recommend a bridge for an Epi T-bird Pro IV

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bunnykeeper, Apr 29, 2018.

1. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    I recently picked up a gutted Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV. The only hardware on it was the nut, TRC, pickguard, strap pins and tuners. Part of the reason I picked it up was that I had a pair of 00s Gibson T-bird pups in my hardware drawer.

I have to decide whether I want to go active or passive (leaning passive), but before I do that, I want to hear what she sounds like acoustically, and for that I need a bridge. I haven't seen any of the original bridges for sale aftermarket, so I'm considering three types:

plain Fender-style
    high mass Gotoh-style

or maybe one of these (no idea what they're called):
    s-l1600.jpg

I'm also open to an Omega BadAss or Hipshot KickAss, but wonder if that would be overkill.

It's a neck-through, therefore I can't shim the neck, so I'm worried about the bridge bottoming out too high.

Any suggestions? I'm going to be playing this in a Thin Lizzy cover band, but might also use it with a pop-punk band if it's versatile enough.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Narrower string spread on the Tbirds. Squier or fender may not be ideal. Omega or Hipshot are better bets. Not overkill.

sissy kathy likes this.
  4. 96tbird and Paulabass like this.
  5. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Pretty easy to install a 3 point on that body . And they are great bridges .

6. The stock bridges on those basses were already Hopshot or Babicz made, I forget which one. Find out and contact them. I hear Customer Service for either is very helpful.

7. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    I ended up going with the Hipshot Kickass. So far, so good.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021