1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a car

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ant Illington, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I strongly dislike the act of researching/shopping for cars, let alone spending money on something which is 90% utilitarian to me.

Replacing my 2006 Hyundai Sonata V-6 soon. I bought it new for $16,900. Just googling, I am getting sticker shock. Comparable car is now $30,000, depending on make. I loved the car- nice engine power, sunroof, good ride but the ride isn't what it once was, it's been rusting the past couple years, the heat/A.C. works only on fan speed 1 and it needs new tires. Not worth fixing at this point.

I don't think I'll buy a Hyundai again as I don't think I want to drive a car for longer than 5-7 years and Hyundai depreciate too fast. A comparable Honda seems to sell for a few grand more but sells used in 5-7 years for many grands more! I drive only 10-12 thousand miles per year.

I am 6'3" so Honda Civics and the like are too small for me so I have to class up. Gag. Where's my subsidy for this handicap? I hate spending money on cars, hate shopping for them. I've never considered a luxury car but I've seen some used prices (high) and wonder if it could actually be cheaper (and quieter and smoother) to drive say a $40,000 car rather than a $30,000 car if one is going to sell in 5-7 years.

Recommend me a good car of any price... one that you personally own.

2. used Honda Accord
    super reliable & big enough

Bought mine new almost 4 years ago & it hasn't given me a moment's trouble.

and I previously owned a used 10-year old Accord that also gave me no trouble

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm so ticked at VW (affected by the emissions cheating scandal) that I'll heartily dis-recommend them.

fourstr00, smperry and ptg like this.
  4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Try a Honda Fit. The name is appropriate. You might think you won't, but you will. So does the upright bass. An amazing little hauling machine.

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Remarkably, the Mini-Coopers fit big drivers easily.

6. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Subaru Impreza should fit you. I am 6'0" and have plenty of extra room. Flat folding rear area for hauling equipment, good drivetrain and handling. The ONE gripe I'd state is the dash is prone to minor ticks and creaks.

Oh, and I was *WRONG* about heated seats. I thought that was the silliest, wimpiest option ever. I grew up in NY winters, I don't need heated seats ! Wrong ! Heated seats are great.

P. Aaron likes this.
  7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

This last week I sold my beloved VW Cabrio and bought a used, single owner, carfax verified non accident '12 Volvo s60R Turbo with 50k on the odometer for 6 grand. I don't regret it at all. STUPID power, power everything, all wheel drive with amazing room and comfort and of course the Volvo dependability and safety record. I got a screaming deal but 15 to 20k for a used Volvo with 30 - 50k on a 2012 to 2014 car is not uncommon in my search. I never considered a Volvo until I test drove one. Then I was fairly myopic in my search. Don't be in a hurry, look for the deal and it will come. I took a bit over a month with cash in hand, to get this one.

Example car on a quick search Used Volvo S60 R For Sale - CarGurus

One of the articles that helped me pull the trigger. Volvo S60 R First Drive – Full Review of the New Volvo S60 R

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Get a truck.

-Mike

smperry, two fingers and Mike N like this.
  9. Funky Ghost

Highly impractical unless you're a contractor imo.

Here in Sac the truck/Suv to car ratio is probably better that 70% towards the former. 99% of them are driven as cars ( not hauling kids or material ) yet take up premium space on freeways and parking lots, use far more gas and are harder on the road surface. I'm not sure where the bonus is in owning one but I just moved without owning a truck and it cost me exactly 70 bucks plus a tank of gas to rent a Uhaul.

All due respect to those who enjoy them, of course. It is a personal choice.

sbpark and paste like this.
  10. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I owned one...worst car I ever had. (Fun to drive, though, in the rare instances it was on the road.) Just by happenstance spoke to someone today who mentioned how their friend's Mini was always breaking down. Just a note of caution...

danesdad and pjbassist like this.
  11. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    +1 on a Subaru of any kind. Truly the greatest car on Earth. They have "horizontally opposed" engines...what the heck does that mean? It means, the cams are lying on their side or horizontally opposed. So what? So...that means when you shut the engine off, the oil pools in the cylinder walls and doesn't drain to the bottom of the oil pan. So...when you start your car INSTANT LUBRICATION! A high % of engine wear happens in the 1st moments after you start a car and the oil pressure needs to build up from the pan to lubricate the engine, true story. Not a problem on a Subaru, hence they last FOREVER and hold their value like a wheat penny! In fact, helicopter engines are made the same way...so they don't just fall outta the sky when the engine fails, again true story.

Sorry to be so long winded and preachy...but they rock and you asked. They are also ALL all-wheel drive which helps in poor road conditions! You can't go wrong!! Good luck!

fretter, Eikari, P. Aaron and 2 others like this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My first ride, in 1987, was a truck. I have never been without one my entire driving life. I worked in construction from 1987 until 2005, so it was a necessity for me.
    It's practical for me for many reasons, the biggest of all being the room inside.
    I don't like getting down into vehicles, so a truck is perfect for me in addition to all the room in the cab.
    Having that big bed, only a 6.5' in my Ram though, is super nice to have.
    I suspect this Ram will be the last truck I own. Once it is gone, I will get something electric.

You are right though, my carbon footprint from that Ram alone is terrible. I feel that by following earth friendly practices in all other areas of my life, I am helping to offset it.
    You are also right about the unnecessary amount of trucks on the road. I see it all the time up around here too. 4x4's jacked up sky high, and out climbs a little 5' tall woman with a Starbucks cup in her hand running to the nail salon.
    Or the other stereotype that usually fits around here is the middle 20's-30's year old guy who goes to the gym to only work out his pec's and bi's, has a skin tight Affliction t-shirt on with fancy boy ripped jeans, and a Rockstar energy drink in his hand as he runs into the local bar to watch an MMA event.

-Mike

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    TheBear and Funky Ghost like this.
  13. Funky Ghost

In my baby rant I did neglect the desire for room a larger person ( Lets face it Mike, you're a giant of a man :D ) would need. My sister in law is a dyed in the wool truck ( Ram as well ) owner. She has zero desire for a car. I think my thoughts were skewed by being in such a tiny car for so long ( I value agility and quickness in my cars - the Cabrio was a fantastic drivers car ) and being stuck in traffic with a wall of metal I couldn't see around :)

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I currently own a 2002 Chevy Express. It's got lousy fuel economy, but it's also got almost 150K miles on it and needs oil changes. Oh, and tires when they wear out. Famous last words, but it's been reliable as a stone. In a few years, I would like to replace it with a smaller vehicle, but still a van. I'm thinking about a Promaster City. That's got to be one of the worst names of anything, ever, but it seems like a pretty good car. 25mpg more or less, and a big cavern in back that hauls anything you want in relative safety and security. They are ugly as sin, but you can get a new one for less than $20K. Add bells and whistles and you can get them up to pushing $30K, but you don't have to do that. The only thing that gives me pause is that those are Fiats deep down inside. Fix It Again Tony is the deep seated opinion about Fiat. It may or may not still apply. I don't know.

15. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    With two exceptions, I've always had a truck of some sort. When I am done with the current one, that will be it. I finally dealt with the "backing a trailer" problem as I got this truck, having been on full-sized beds for two trucks before this one, but getting tired of the fuel-hoggery. The next one will be a 4WD SUV with enough room for the upright bass inside it and tow capacity for the trailer - probably a Honda Pilot. The Fit is unfortunately not a tow vehicle, despite its many other charms, and also does not come 4WD. The trailer has a bed larger than that of any truck I've ever owned, but it's only there wasting gas and road-space when I actually need it. Which is just not all that often, as it turns out. Nice when you need it, nice not to waste the money on it when you don't. A Pilot would also take more passengers than even my old 1-ton crew cab (two trucks ago) when that was needed/useful.

16. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    KIA Soul, can fit big up front and in back

Big Shrek likes this.
  17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Take a look at the Ford Fusion.

The SE version with the 2 L ecoboost engine and 6 speed automatic gives you 245 hp with 30+ mpg.

Expect your actual price about $26-28k

TOOL460002 likes this.
  18. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Following this thread. After 9 years of awesome service my 2009 Scion xB is finally nearing the mark where it's not worth fixing it anymore, and all this high praise for Subaru and Volvo has got me looking intently on the interwebz.

Anyone have opinions on 2017-18 Jeeps and Toyotas? Only hauling around basses and a pedalboard these days.

19. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I have to admit that while the Fusion regularly catches my eye randomly on the street, I am still skeptical of American cars for some reason. I will put the Fusion on my list. My last American was a 94 Chevy Corsica that needed major engine work just inside the 75000 mile mark- thank God I bought an extended warranty AND had a mechanic that knew a dealer mechanic who made the warranty work happen.

20. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Subaru Forester. Least expensive of the "better" import SUVs. Best handling/AWD of the bunch as well. Since it's winter here 4-5 months of the year the AWD and heated seats are nice features. Too bad they don't make 6cyl that can pump out 300hp.

fretter, Linnin and Mike N like this.