Recommend a cart for load in-out: gruv gear, rock and roller or ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JES, Dec 20, 2015.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm thinking Gruv Gear or Rock and Roller. But which model?

I'm in two bands: one is 1-2 basses, a pedalboard, amp and 2 speakers. The other is less than that but still 2-3 trips.

BUT: my wife just took up drums (and is in one of said bands). Should we be thinking about 2 trips for one cart or 1 trip on a bigger cart? And which one would you recommend?

We live in Montreal. It snows here. There are always at least the stairs in our apartment (we live on 2nd floor, car is in basement). Often there are more stairs.

BONUS: I occasionally play laptop gigs, so a tabletop could be cool if it's at least 30" off the ground. But this is not essential.

Both of us are mid-40s and sometimes throw out our backs. We are willing to spend some money.

Thanks.

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I have one of these made by Clipper, the 300lb model. Does fine for music gear as well as tools for work when needed. It may not be the best choice for drums though.

dynimage.ms?v=1&w=226&h=226&img=master:NPC004.jpg

3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been using the Rock and roller carts for ever with the larger tires, great for long load ins!

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The larger Rock-n-Rollers have more capacity than the V-cart but in my opinion, the V-cart's tilted V mode has superior handling/maneuverability and it's much easier to secure the load with a couple of bungee cords. With a loaded RnR, you have to be careful that you don't drop items off the cart because it's less maneuverable due to its size and harder to secure items. Lastly, the V-cart feels rock solid compared to the RnR.

NCD: Gruv Gear V-Cart Solo

5. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Take into consideration the kind of stairs that you have to travel from your home to your garage before you buy anything!

I live in a third floor walk-up and discovered upon moving in that not all stairs are equal. What I mean by that is that my building (and some venues with stairs that I've played at) have the sort of stairs that are both very tall at each step AND don't have a back to each stair step...meaning that the stairs themselves are only horizontal boards with no vertical "backs" to stop the wheels and redirect the force upwards.

The wheels on my dolly are too small to keep from getting trapped under the lip of each stair and therefore won't roll up the stairs at all...which for me means deadlifting and walking down and up three flights of stairs with 90-120 lbs of gear per trip. Therefore I'm on the hunt to find a dolly with either super large wheels that won't get stuck.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I like the r&r, since it works as a flat cart or hand truck, but never tried the Groove Gear - that would probably be better for steps.

7. JES

JES Supporting Member

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The Gruv Gear does both those modes but the flat cart mode is bit too small to be useful.

V-cartsolo_zpsec968351.jpg

Where the Gruv Gear really shines is in tilted V mode. It's the only mode that anyone who owns one uses to move gear. It's infinitely more maneuverable and secure!

20150309_014438_zpsbhmwakwg.jpg

Munjibunga and jerry like this.
  9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    jerry likes this.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have the GruvGear/Krane AMG 250 and a RocknRoller R6. I like the construction and ease of use of the GruvGear. It's a little smallish, but I can get my CN212, bass gig bag, Gramma Pad, and a small amp on it for one-trip load-in. If you have more than that, I'd get the larger model (AMG 500), but it still won't take all that plus drums in one trip.

The RnR R6 will carry a lot more stuff, but I recommend going with the R8. The RnR is a little more cumbersome to use because of its funky latch systems for raising the ends and extending the base, but it's not too bad. On my R6 I can carry my PA mains, two PA monitors, cable bag, mixer and a couple other things. My drummer also uses an R6 and brings everything in in one trip. I think you're still going to be making two trips with your rig and drums, but it's pretty convenient.

Even though these carts fold up, they still take a fair amount of room in your car/truck.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    After seeing this, I'd say r&r if you need it for flat areas, because you can carry more, but if you are going up steps or grass, the gruv.