Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend a decent tube power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 440Hz, Sep 6, 2004.

1. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I know that Mesa makes one but they are ridiculously expensive. I wanna replace my old SUnn ss amp with a tube amp, leaving space in my rack for a good git and bass preamp.

Thanks.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The only other tube poweramp I've heard of is the Aguilar DB 728.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I think your chances of finding an inexpensive tube power amp are pretty slim, unfortunately. :(

Occasionally you may find an Aguilar DB728 on eBay for a grand or so, like I did, but they're not very common on the used market.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    demeter also has an expensive one.

awesome bass btw. i looked for an ET5 for a year before i settled for my T5!

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    If you think the Mesa power amps are too expensive you're pretty much out of luck. Not that they are cheap by any means, but the alternatives are more expensive. Used Strategy 400s can be found for around $500 on Ebay, maybe elsewhere if you are very lucky. Maybe, if you did not need a stereo amp, and if it did not need to be in a rack, you could find an old tube bass head, if it had a power amp in? I might even know where you could get one, if that description fits the bill, but unless you're in the Northeast US shipping would be a killer.