1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a drill

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wideyes, Apr 23, 2010.

1. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Hey folks! It's time for me to buy a cordless drill. I know this is a bass forum, but I trust the input of you folks in all technical matters and know that many of you work on your own basses. I'm looking for that point where price meets performance, something that will be adaptible for the future, etc. etc., you know the... don't say it!

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
  3. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Nice! I've heard that name around, they seem to have a good reputation. I'll look out for that brand on my shopping trip tomorrow.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that link is where I found mine, I doubt you'll find it cheaper in town.

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    For light duty use Ryobi stuff is pretty inexpensive although they are not designed to be run hard.
    With that said, my drill still works even though the spindle bearings are shot

6. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    What's the battery replacement situation on the Makita or Ryobi drills?

7. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    If you think you might want other cordless tools think about sticking with a brand that makes everything you might go for. Having the same battery and charger might not seem like a big deal but it's nice to have one system for all your tools. I went with Dewalt for this reason.
    What do you need a drill to do?

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've owned several cordless drills over the years, but my favorite - by a wide margin - is a Panasonic cordless impact driver. It's not inexpensive, but it outperforms every other cordless drill/driver I've ever used, and once you get used to the capabilities of an impact driver, I doubt you'll ever be without one.

9. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Good question. Immediate needs are light-duty: install some curtain rods and other stuff into my wall at home (drywall, no big deal), inserting/removing screws, and maybe some SX modification like relocating strap buttons and whatnot :eek:. Seems like a small, low-powered one would do me fine, but then again once you get a drill, you start to want to do more with it, so... You get the picture. Small and versatile?

EDIT: I'm a drill n00b, so one that comes with a set of drill bits would be plus...

10. I've owned Dewalt for a number of years. My 18v was stolen and my 12v battery finally died. Wanted to go Li-on batteries and Makita was highly recommend. I bought the 18v model listed above at Home Depot for $179 (new not refurbished) about 2 weeks ago. Highly recommend it. Have been using it ever since, as I had to move. Has come in very handy for dismantling/rebuilding things and installing things like curtain rods. It definitely fits the hand better than my other drills and is lighter and easier to handle and has plenty of power. Great recommendations on the web and definitely charges in 15 minutes.

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I did research this a few years ago, and got a Ryobi 18 volt with a one hour fast charger and 2 batteries, the whole thing came in a plastic case.
    I have just replaced the batteries after 4 years, and it has done some hard construction work in the electrical utility industry. I have drilled 10mm holes through steel I beams, and drilled with a 50mm holesaw in panel steel and wood.

12. jaymag_87

jaymag_87

Feb 11, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a Black and Decker FireStorm (I think. Whatever. It's red) 18v. It's real nice. Two batteries with chargers. The booklet says the batteries can be left on the charger, without harming them. I like it better than the Makita it replaced.

13. marantz10

marantz10 Master Bass Playa

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have an 18v Dewalt cordless that is absolutely amazing! I've had it for several years now. It's not li-ion, (nic-cad I think) but all you have to do is use up the battery entirely before switching to the backup it has. Then while using the backup you charge the dead one and do this vice versa. I get tremendous battery life with these guys and it's really powerful for most heavy duty stuff!

14. I have an ancient Ni-Cad Bosch that just keeps on going, but if it ever needs replacing then both DeWalt & Makita will be on my list. Both brands are great from my experiences. Get one that has a hammer-action as well as the torque setting ring & you're good to go for almost anything. Make sure it has metal gearing though, some have plastic gears & they will shred up.

Depending on your budget, DeWalt do various Combo Packs with loads of cool stuff in them.

Pete.

15. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am a contractor and I use DeWalt or Milwaukee cordless tools. If this is more money than you want to spend, I highly recommend the Bosch 18v cordless driver. They're about $100 and very reliable.

17. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I've owned many of the above mentioned drills. I use my drills every day building decks, so far the toughest, most reliable one I've use is the Craftsman 19.2. After 5 years on the job one of the batteries died, I went to Sears and expected to buy a new battery, but they gave me one instead. I'm way happier with this $100 drill (maybe it was $150) than anything I've ever owned.

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

My partner has this drill. It's pretty old and it works great. It'll rip your arm off if you aren't careful. I didn't think they still made them.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I also have the Craftsman 19.2. Over the years I have had to purchase a couple of replacement batteries - Sears wasn't so nice to me... but I've been using the heck out of that drill for a long, time. I keep a spare power pack on the charger when I'm doing a larger job. Sears also sells a good drill set with around 20 to 24 sizes from very small through 3/8th's.

Were I going new, I'd be going with the little Black & White Makita - expensive but the smaller size, lighter weight would be a plus for me.

Ryobi & Rigid, two of Home Depot's house brands is really hit or miss. My Rigid table saw lost a trunion bearing and I'm having a heck of a time getting a replacement and/or locating a repair center within a reasonable distance. The Ryobi Miter stand is really cool but - some of their tools are really very light duty. Can't say that I would bother with them for much ...