Recommend a few good prog bands or records

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GillesUnchained, Aug 19, 2009.

1. I would like to get into more prog rock. I really like the first UK album (I'm a bit of a Holdsworth fan) and I own the Yes three-disc best of. I listen to Classic Rock radio, so I've heard a good amount of Rush.

Can you recommend some stuff the casual listener may not be familiar with? Hidden gems? Any essential prog listening?

I like the stuff from the 70's, but I'd be willing to try some more contemporary bands. I especially enjoy bands with prominent bass, but don't we all?

2. Wow someone else has the 1st UK album???? I saw em at my local hall in about '78, and bought the album on me way out..very impressed!

Early yes is just classic prog goodness, check out Fragile and Close to the Edge

Early Marillion was also pretty good, their 1st, Script for a Jesters Tear, is still high on my Ipod playlist!

Early 70's could give you Curved Air, they were pretty out there at the time!

70's is pretty much my era, so maybe others can help with later stuff?

3. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    Pink Floyd IMO

4. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Jethro Tull!

5. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    +1 to the Floyd. Pink Floyd was one of the bands I listened to way back when as I was first getting into rock music. Lots of prog goodness to be had with the Floyd.

6. Genesis
    King Crimson
    Gentle Giant
    Camel

to name a few...

7. ...and the Moody Blues...

8. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    They're the only prog I need :D

9. Noak2

Noak2

Jun 16, 2009
    Sweden
    Off the top of my head:
    Magma-Üdü Wüdü
    Änglagård-Hybris
    Samla Mammas Manna-Måltid
    Amon Düül II-Phallus Dei
    Beardfish-Sleeping in Traffic Part 2
    Phideaux-Doomsday Afternoon
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer-Brain Salad Surgery
    Frost*-Experiments in Mass Appeal
    Le Orme-Felona E Sorona
    Premiata Forneria Marconi-Per un Amico
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso-Io Sono Nato Libero
    Soft Machine-Fourth
    Caravan-In the Land of Grey and Pink
    Harmonium-Si On Avait Besoin Dun Cinquieme Saison
    Yezda Urfa-Boris
    Koenjihyakkei-Angherr Shisspa

10. Oh man, where to start.

I'm going to lay down some quotes from a buddy of mine who LOVES good prog

The very NATURE of prog means that you should ABSOLUTELY be looking past the obvious - Floyd, Crimson, Yes, etc. I mean, I like those bands, but if you really want to hear some Crraaaazzzzy prog, you gotta go digging around in some old European record (VINYL record) shops, you gotta go WAY out there. That's the best part of prog! :hyper:

11. Thanks for all the suggestions! This will keep me busy for quite a while. I should also mention that I'm really more into the odd meter and synthesizer run aspect of prog rather than the whimsical, medieval aspects, if that makes any sense. For example, I don't really enjoy Gabriel-era Genesis. But I really like Duke/Abacab, even though I wouldn't consider those albums prog, but they're synth heavy, as well as include some excellent bass, in my opinion. I hope that helps direct the suggestions.

12. Ah Camel...Moonmadness, one of the best

and any amount of Tull that wasn't Blues counts as prog I think, some damn nice bass riffs in the John Glascock era, Songs from the Wood etc in the mid 70's

13. im really not hip to much prog, but i saw U-melt about a week ago and loved it... might want to check them out.

14. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Crack-the-Sky

15. My fave current band would be Porcupine Tree. Maybe not prog in the pure sense, but very psychedelic and interesting. Creepy, dark. Lots and lots of Mellotron.

16. High Elbows

High Elbows

Feb 13, 2008
    Philly 'burbs
    +1 on the Porcupine Tree... try "in Absentia", fantastic album!

Also, Spock's Beard. Great basslines there!

17. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Nektar-Remember the Future

18. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yes Porcupine Tree. Great stuff!

19. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Tull in the early days WAS blues, ALL that followed was Prog, and IMHO Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond bass lines killed too (Thick as a Brick anyone?)

20. Dream Theater's Awake and Change of Seasons. Both are great albums. A little heavier than what you seem to be used to though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021