Recommend a few good prog bands or records

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GillesUnchained, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Im gonna second whoever said Oceansize. Theyer amazing. I particularly appreciate their use of bizzare time signatures like 11/8 and 13/8 and how they can make the song flow perfectly to them. Theyer latest album "Frames" is especially good.

Also, +1 to The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, Frost*, and Dream Theater. Volta kinda has this "Holy sh**t my brains are on fire" element going for them, which i really like. As for DT, ive never been too keen on the operatic vocals + metal/prog scene, so i listen to them sparingly, but they certainly have technicality and intruiging musicality in spades. I saw them live not to long ago in Maryweather with Queensryche (sp?), Scale the Summit (also very awesome), and Zappa Plays Zappa, who tbh were my fav perfomrance of the evening. They totally blew me away.

Other bands who are kinda-sorta proggy but amazing nonetheless are: Pure Reason Revolution (In Aurelia!), Blackfield, Karnivool (especially songs like Umbra, Deadman, and Change, but my faves of thiers also include All I Know, Set Fire to the Hive, Themata, and Goliath), Liquid Tension Experiment, Pendulum (Theyer prog to me because theyer the only techno/electronic/rock band who sounds anything like them to my knowledge.), and A Perfect Circle (they have members from Tool, if im not mistaken). You'll find most of these guys to be prog-rock, as im not a big fan of classic, older prog (ala King Crimson and the like), excluding Rush, of course :D, so you'll have to forgive me if my definition of prog is a little stretched. :bag:

2. Gin

Gin

Apr 11, 2008
    Manitoba, Canada
    I also forgot to add in Mastodon, who have prog elements in their music at times, such an amazing band. Crack the Skye is a work of art.:smug:

3. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Y'know, I'm gonna second that recommendation, if for no other reason than I think it's a valuable lesson to hear what happens when extremely fascile and imaginative musicians get together to record music that has absolutely no soul, spirit, or mojo whatsoever.

The debut album by Happy The Man is mind-blowingly impressive in its precise execution...for all of about 30 seconds. Then you start to realize "Hey, wait a minute...where's the humanity?" Those guys sounded like an ultra-quantized MIDI sequencer six years before that technology even existed. Cold, lifeless, dispassionate, with no sense of how to shape a phrase organically or construct a composition so that it develops rather than simply continues. But yeah, they were really tight.

Definitely give them a listen. And then understand why bands like Yes, King Crimson, ELP, etc. get referred to as "first tier" prog bands.

4. May I recommend 'Mainstream' by Quiet Sun. Phil Manzanera's band from College who got nowhere and split. Then briefly got back together when Phil was in Roxy and knocked this album out in one night's session.
    I've ranted about this one on here before, I adore this album. Heavy, jazzy, ambient, complex, and great prominent bass, often with dollops of fuzz.
    The bass solo on 'Rongwrong' is a thing of beauty.

And also 'Roller' by Goblin. More famous for their soundtracks for Dario Argento, this was their first 'straight' release. The bass is loud throughout, great funky, snappy Rickenbacker action. The music reminds me of Jan Akkerman jamming with Mike Oldfield and Keith Emerson. It's a blinder.

5. geezerharris

geezerharris

Jul 23, 2009
    king crimson and pink floyd are good in the area of old prog. for newer prog, tool and dreamtheater are good. also check out caress of steel and hemispheres by rush

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    That's kind of unfair - I think you'd find that Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford were every bit as responsible for the "dumbing down" of Genesis - have you heard the Mike & the Mechanics albums or Tony's solo stuff? And Phil's work (as a drummer) with Brand X and Peter Gabriel shows his ability to play challenging, interesting music...

Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in with a couple favorites, most of which have been mentioned:

Spocks Beard
    Transatlantic
    Porcupine Tree
    Enchant

and, in a shameless plug: Din Within

:)

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow kind of a bizarre recommendation. I have their first two records on one CD, I think "Hope" doesn't really hold up like the self-titled. Quite interesting poppy-proggy seventies music. I love it but it's very much in a strange little league of its own.

All aboard sub-rosa subway / If you wonder who's been diggin under Broadway / It's Alfie

8. Two notes:

I have the Klaatu album. I think I inherited it from my dad's record collection. I may have listened to it once, and if its the one I'm remembering, I was interested.

The other thing... I know I'm in the minority among Genesis fans when I say that, in Genesis, I prefer Phil Collins to Peter Gabriel. I will amend that statement by saying that this is only based on a hodgepodge of Gabriel-era tracks I have downloaded and that I only really like any Genesis from about '80 to '86. I like Peter Gabriel's solo stuff and I don't like Phil Collins' solo stuff.

9. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    If you want some good, new, indie "What the **** is going on", Tera Melos-Complex Full of Phantoms

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Maybe unfair but my son was into prog at one point asked about later Genesis and I told him Phil Collins was the singer and he burst out laughing at me!

He owns all the Yes LPs but wont even try later Genesis.

I watched a special on them sometime ago and Phil Collins said he/they were sick of playing to an 99% male audience. Brand X was killer.

Happy the Man I dont believe was the way you describe it - soulless.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you want to hear a cool band that was heavily influenced by 70's era prog music, especially red-era king crimson, check out anekdoten from sweden. they are an excellent band, trio + cello.

my band lord only was also heavily influenced by 70's era prog music (mostly yes, tull and rush). check out our myspace - we have 10 tracks from our two cds, including 4 tracks from a 40 minute long conceptual piece (and 3 from another 21 minute long one).

12. amplifier is a powertrio prog band (i think from the UK) with some classic rock stuff going on, and a really awesome bass player. check out their record 'insider', i love it!

also, another band (this is from the eighties): Watchtower. a combo of prog ROCK (not prog metal) and thrash metal. really awesome, pretty original, really, really awesome vocals and a great rhythm section. really worth a listen! check out their record 'control and resistance'

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I find the first album to be delightful.
    My favorite Genesis albums include the two post-Gabriel albums with Steve Hackett. I think they really hit stride when Gabriel left tha band. I like the Gabriel era stuff, particularly Foxtrot, but I also love the later stuff. Wind & Wuthering and Trick Of The Tail really have something special going on IMO.

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I liked both era's of Genesis. I saw the "Dance on a Volcano" tour with Chester Thompson. Great show

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021