1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a J to go with my P (no pun intended)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I'm currently building a P/J Jazz bass, and I'm trying to decide what J to put in the bridge position. The P pup is going to be either a Fender 62 RI or a QP. I'd really like to have a hum-cancelling J pickup, and I was looking at the SD Hot Stack, STK-J2, and was wondering how it would sound with either of those Ps.

I'm also open to other suggestions for other combinations, but I am on a budget so outrageously-priced options aren't really possible. I play and write mostly pop-punk, but I also like to jam with classic rock tunes from time to time.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you go with the Fender pickup, I'd suggest a DiMarzio Area J, which closely approximates a classic single coil tone, with zero noise. I'm very happy with these in my G&L JB. You might want something hotter to go with the Quarter Pounder, like DiMarzio's Model J. The Duncan Hot Stack might be good in either case; I don't know much about it.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the area J is a good choice. if you want hotter, go with their ultra J.

both the model J and any duncan "stacked" J will be weaker, not hotter.

4. sdoow

sdoow

Jun 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I third the Area J. I put together a P/J MIM Jazz about a year ago using a Duncan SPB-1 with an Area J at the bridge. Output levels are pretty close, lots of tonal variation as you blend the two. In short I wouldn't want to change a thing. BTW, follow walterw's advice and use 500K linear pots for volume, and a 500K audio pot w/.047 cap for tone.

5. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Actually, I'm just doing a pan pot. No master volume, no tone. As simple as it can be.

So the Area J will be about the same output as a Fender P pickup? I know that Ps are typically a lot hotter than Js, and don't want it to get totally overpowered. The J is also in the 70's position, so I don't really want anything that will make it too "honky," if you get my meaning.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    no J pickup is gonna have the same output as a P pickup, especially back there in the '70s spot, and especially if you go with a super-hot P pickup like the QP.

it's not really supposed to, though; the j in this setup is just there to modify the sound of the P, by scooping out mids and adding highs as it's rolled in.

7. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I've had good results using STK-J2 and SPB-1 in 2 basses (Fender & Warmoth).

Also using 500k volume pots and Fender TBX tone control.

Sounds good with either pickup solo or both pickups full or various combinations. I set the P pickup a small bit low for better volume balance.

Like WW just said, I wouldn't use a high output P in a PJ bass, especially if the J pickup is close to the bridge (70s style).

8. zone1

zone1

Dec 27, 2009
    What is the distance of the rear pup to the bridge for "70's" spacing? I'm wondering if the new American deluxe precisions have it?

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The new AmDlx P's have the J pickup in the 60's position.

10. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Will the Ultra Jazz match well with the Fender pickup and the QP, in case I decide I don't like one or the other? Want to do as little modification as possible after the first round.