1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend a lightweight cab for shuttle 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Sep 23, 2008.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I'm looking for a stage monitor to be driven by a shuttle 6.0 for use with PA support. I use a MM SR5, Pbass and BSX Allegro EUB. I have an Avatar SB112 Delta, and after adding carpet to the innards it sounds much better (less boxey to me). The cab actually sounds very good but I'm looking for something lighter (it weighs about 50lbs) that can handle decent volume on a stage so I can hear myself.

I want lightweight (<35lbs) and good tone (I generally like 12's and tweeters). Tone, portability and weight are primary, cost is secondary

Based on reviews and scouring the web, I am thinking of the following:

1) Carvin LM12: 300W program/ 1200W peak 26lbs $212 http://www.carvinguitars.com/lm/

2) BagEnd S10X-D: 200W program/800W peak 27lbs $490 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bagend-S10XD-1x10-Bass-Cabinet?sku=481189

3) Epifani UL2-110: 250W rms/ ???W peak 22lbs $449 http://www.epifani.com/products/club110.php

4) Epifani UL2-112: 300W rms/1200W peak 30lbs $599
    http://www.epifani.com/products/club112.php

5) Schroeder Mini 12+ light: 400W rms/???W peak 20lbs $645

6) Schroeder Mini 10 regular: 350W rms/700W peak 21lbs $435

7) Genz-Benz NEOX-112: 300W rms/ ???W peak 37lbs $579 (bit overweight, but I'll let it slide cause I like Genz Benz)

I realize I haven't tried any of these but I may not be able to find them in one place. Based on specs the Carvin looks like a winner and the Schroeder Mini 10 regular as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i tried the shuttle with as many 1x12's i could lay my hands on, and i still came back to my epifani ul112. the rather laid back tones of the shuttle got a nice kick in the pants from the quicker feeling epifani drivers.

also, tried an aguilar gs112, and found it to have a nice thick lower mid, with a nice wide feeling mid.

while the aguilar sounded fine, i thought the epifani performance 1x12 was like its bigger, fatter, overgrown older brother. but thx to that epifani tweeter, there's this sweet detail up top. its quite different from the more neutral'ish UL112 cab.

also tried the db112 which had this very pointed middle mid emphasis that i didnt really dig. but i could imagine how easily a pair of db's would kick thru most any mix. and thx to that inyourface middleness, its easily one of the louder little 1x12's i've heard in a long while.

3. I use a Shuttle with a single db112. I was intending to get a second but really don't think I need it. Great tone... but heavier than you'd like at 42lbs.
    I don't find it mid heavy at all- seems very balanced and focussed to my ear.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I also like the shuttle with the UL112, but for a real powerhouse cab you might consider the 4 ohm schroe 15L. Its 30LBS and should be quite loud.

Hmm... but then again schroeder cabs are not the best match for the shuttle in my experience since both the cab and amp in question are very punchy you'll likely end up with a rig that is too punchy. So just ignore me. :cool:

I also really dig the shuttle thru my UL115 with is extremely portable at 43LBS.... its a better matchup then even the UL112

5. I'm also using my Shuttle with an Epifani UL2-112. I really like it and have only gotten compliments about my sound so far..
    A second UL2-112 is about to be delivered to me, but i'm not really sure when i'm going to need it. Probably only at the bigger stages..
    I've never used the Shuttle at more then 1/3 of the master volume, with room to spare at the input section also..

6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Have you tried the shuttle cabs? The 10t sounds huge for its size...

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'd go with a GB cab. I had a NeoX 112 for a while with a NeoPak and it was great. I only replaced it because the Shuttle 3.0 combo is so freaking great!

I also play PA supported gigs almost exclusively and the Shuttle combo works great. It is also plenty for stand alone jazz gigs and low volume stuff.

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Neox 112, Aggie DB or GS 112, Epifani ul112, or the Schroeder 15+. If you want a 4 ohm cabinet to get maximum power and headroom, then the Schroeder is very attractive. If you want an 8 ohm cabinet so that you can add another later, then any of the others are worth looking at. The NeoX is the best sounding of the 112's to me. The DB would be next, followed by the Epi and then the GS. All great cabinets though.

9. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i've got a Single Neox112 with my shuttle 6 and its a great cab for volume and definition

10. I would eliminate the 110's from you list. They are just too compressed in the low end for most, even for stage monitoring IMO and IME.

I'd keep it simple and go with the Shuttle 112 cab. It's high quality, VERY lightweight, and has that nice tilt back stand and the 'clamp' to allow the Shuttle to be fixed in a 'combo' format.

It's not the most impressive 112, but is high quality, very lightweight, and voiced to work quite well with the Shuttle.

+1 for the 115L Schroeder also... 30 pounds, small, and at 4ohms with these small micro's, it really puts out some sound.

11. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    I appreciate the recommendations

I will eliminate the 110 options unless I have a chance to try them myself

So far the Genz Benz NEOX 112, Shuttle 112 extension, Epifani UL112 and Schroeder 15L are having the most visibility.

12. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I'd also recommend checking out the Epifani PS-112. It's cheaper than the UL-112, the same size, and only 36lbs. From what I've heard it has a bit of a low/low-mid bump, which are the freqs many of us are already boosting on the Shuttle.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another vote for Schro 15+L. Think of it more as an uber monster 12 rather than a 15. Cannot think of a better standalone, all-purpose cab under 35 lbs.

14. curtis r

curtis r

Aug 8, 2007
    austin tx.
    touring bassist
    how about bergantino ht112

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Again IMO and IME the schroeder cabs are not a good match for the shuttle. The shuttle needs a cab with a wide, large low-end. I've used my shuttle with my 1212R and much prefer the 1212R with my LMII over the shuttle. Much preferred.

I LOVE schroeder cabs and in fact am seriously thinking about buying the new 1515L so this is no slag on them. Its just that certain amps and cabs dont match up well....and this is an example of that.

That's my .02.

16. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    What about the Acme low B1?

Is this a good fit for my needs?

Anyone try it with the Shuttle?

17. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I've not tried the Shuttle with a Low B!, but IMHO, no. I don't understand the appeal of the Low B1. It has a fairly low power rating and is EXTREMELY inefficient. Sounds like a recipe for volume issues to me. All ACME cabs are very low efficiency, and work best with higher power heads, where they can really take a licking. While the other larger cabinets are very hi-fi and have their appeal for some, I don't understand the B1's appeal at all.

18. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    If the ACME cabs work with higher power heads, wouldn't a 375W shuttle @8 ohms fit the bill? I don't get it

Thanks for your opinion

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i havent tried it w/ the shuttle, but w/ my AI Focus in acoustic singer/songwriter / trio jazz restaurant crap / random cabaret gigs where i'm usually up against an 18" bass drum, i found the b1 has worked fine for me. its definitely one of the few 1x10 that dont make my bass sound like a thick guitar string. unfortunately, any gigs any larger, no dice.

20. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    I'm concerned about the 175W power rating vs the 375W of the shuttle @ 8 ohms