1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a music stand light?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ryco, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I've been playing with a piano player who just purchased an electronic keyboard. Up until now he's been using a small 'console' piano (accoustic piano - not as tall as an upright). I've been able to place a piano light on the top and, voila, there is light!

His new electric keyboard is very slender, so there isn't room for a regular piano light. I'm looking for something I can clip onto the music stand that comes attached on his piano. I would prefer a light that plugs into the wall as opposed to battery powered.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a Mighty Bright Xtraflex LED light that is bright, super portable, has long battery life and was only $15. Here's their whole selection: http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Lights/CategoryProductList.html

I know what you mean about wanting something wall powered but the LEDs are so easy on batteries that it's really not much hassle for how well the thing works.

3. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    I have this same light.

It's okay for the price, but I didn't think it provided enough light. Also, I don't know if it's just mine, but it came with a sorta blue light and I'm not really into that. I like to be able to see my music without having to squint. I'd recommend getting the one with two little lights on it, as the single really only is able to light one page.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    What, you haven't memorized the entire popular songbook yet?! :smug:

+1 on the Mighty Bright light... used one once as an emergency, not sure which model, and it worked great. I meant to order one, but I rarely use a music stand on gigs, so it just slipped my mind.

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    ... and all I get is illumination!

No, no excuse, sir!

Until I'm willing to put in the hard and necessary work on my ear, i.e. transcribing and sitting down at the piano with my jazz theory books, I will be relegated to reading charts over the pianists shoulder.

The popular songbook and jazz idioms are the most difficult genres of music for me. I played T40 pop, rock and country for years and had no trouble learning and memorizing up to seven hours of songs a night.

But when it comes to jazz, it's a whole 'nother ball game. We'll be playing along and the pianist will shut the book in the middle of a song, or will just start into a song and that's it - I'm left in the dust scrambling to play a competent bassline. Even with songs I've heard for years: "How High the Moon", "Sweet Georgia Brown", "Triste", "Blue Bossa", "All of Me". It's very humbling and shows, even after years of playing, how far I have to go.
    So yeah - the Mighty Brite looks interesting.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ha! Just yankin' yer crank a bit. I played a duo with the great pianist Shiro Mori last night, and I started to realize how many tunes I don't know!