1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a new AMP for quiet playing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Sheets, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Commercial User

Oct 23, 2018
    Hamilton, Canada
    Hi everyone,

My current amp isn't too great. Behringer BX4500h.
    My speaker is a yorkville 15" cabinet.

It's actually really loud - but it's impossible to lower the volume enough to play at night.

I am thinking about the Ampeg Micro.
    Any thoughts if this would be fine with my cabinet?

No immediate plans to use it outside the house - but would like something that sounds really good while be able to play low volume if I need it. (While also being able to shake the house if I want to).

Anyone know if the Behringer would work as a keyboard amp? (Daughter is thinking of trying to learn)

2. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Hmm...

I have an 800 watt Traynor head running into an SWR 2x10 that's working right now for "quiet practice". Certainly way more amp and cab than I need for that sort of stuff, but it's easy to keep the volume down with the gain only halfway up and the master volume at about "one".

I'm looking for maybe an Ampeg PF-500 or an older Genz Benz Shuttle that can work either for practice at home or as an easy portable rig if I want to only play through one cab somewhere (I typically use a pair of 2x10's together for regular gigs).

I also have an older Genz Benz ML-112 combo that has been fine for practice, but it's loaned out to my buddy's daughter who it taking up the bass - and lovin' it!! Not really on the lookout for another combo just because all they can do for me is 'shed. Yes, bigger ones are rather potent, but now we're getting into bigger and heavier rigs that might actually be less portable than my head and cabs. If I get another combo, it will likely be small and cheap.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    An amp that is good for bass can also serve as a keyboard amp. May I suggest some headphones, they are great for practicing piano.

An amp with a headphone jack will help solve your night practice problem as well. An Ampeg Micro will do the job.

You can also use a mixer with an instrument in and use headphones to monitor. Some mixers have a digital out that can connect to your computer. This will allow you to record as you play, mix it with music, use it as a training aid.

4. I've got an Ampeg MicroVR with 2 of the 210AVs. It works great as a practice unit and I use it with both cabs at for more gigs than I would have expected. Nothing but surprise and compliments on the tone from others.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Are you rich? If not, are there local liquor stores with low security and good exit points? If so, the Phil Jones Double 4 is the amp you are looking for.

6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I play bass guitar as well as piano.
    I use a PF350 with an SVT210AV cab at home.
    Perfect sound from ultra low volume and up, way up.
    The PF350 is IME also a perfect amp for a stage piano.
    I am not familiar with your Yorkville.
    For piano, it's useful to have a tweeter for the sparkle.
    With a tweeter less cab (like the SVT210AV) is great also, but is more 50's old school sounding (which I happen to like too).

I am not familiar with the Behringer BX4500h, can't comment on that, sorry.

I hope my remarks help a bit in your search.

7. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Yep, the PF-350 sounds great at low volume (and at gig volume, too). I also pair mine with a 115 (by Traynor/Yorkville).