recommend a p/j

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Minor, Feb 27, 2006.

1. hey everybody, i was thinking about buying a new bass with a p/j pickup configuration and i was wondering if you guys could recommend some, price range is about $800 but i'm willing to go a little bit over if it's really worth it, thanks!
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Easy, G&L SB2. IMHO best tone, playability, and overall quality of any PJ in that price range hands down.
  3. I was thinking about a a different bass, but after reading what Birmingham said, i changed my mind. I forgot how much I loved the tone of my bass teachers Sb2, and on the one chance I got to play one (can't play his, its lefty) I absolutely loved it.

I have a G&L Tribute for my main bass and its phenominal. All the G&L products taht I've played so far have been fantastic.
  4. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Seconded...I'm gasing for one biggggg time.
  6. yea i have a tribute L-2000 and it's great, looks like G&L will get my money once again
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Those Yammies sound nice.
  8. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    used hot-rod p bass. they were discontinued a few years ago, but are great basses if you can find one. you could snag one in great condition in your price range.
  9. I agree, I enjoyed the few I played in stores. They all played very nicely and sounded pretty good, for a great price. You can get a used MIM one for really cheap nowadays, practically a steal. The USA ones are just terrific.
  10. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    find a decent condition Yamaha BB3000.

If you dont mind a sig bass, the 3000MA is good bass.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass. Exactly in your price range, great bass. If you can find one of the lightly used Peavey Millenium Standards recently blown out by Musician's Friend that would be a great choice, too. Read this.
  12. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina

i love yamaha PJs

13. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd check out a Waterstone if I were you. I got to see a few this last weekend and they are fantastic instruments. I'm not sure if they make a P/J, but if they do I'd put their build-quality up there with anyone in that price range (and much higher).

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 the G&L would be an awesome value.
  15. schecter model t

the reggie hamilton would be a good choice too. i've never seen anyone with one of those

16. so yeah... ive got a yamaha p/j bass that is a couple years old, cost me 250 dollars, and I can basically make it sound great with my 12 band.. not a bad bass at all.. i havent looked into the uper end of the spectrum... but basically all i had to do to make my bass feel and sound nice when i got it was lower the action a little.... Id be intrested to try out the higer end ones, but good ol guitar center doesnt like to carry them... they prefer warwicks and shecters and stuff....:rolleyes:
  17. You can find a used Euro Spector for the price. Some of the other basses mentioned are nice as well, but my vote defiantely goes for the Spector. I've seen them go for as low as 650 on ebay.
  18. I'll second that.
  19. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    If you're willing to go past $800 get the G&L SB2 . . . . otherwise I vote for Godin.