Recommend a P pickup please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Busker, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Working on a American Series Precision with stock pickup. It sounds good, but I'm wanting to change the pup. I'm familiar with Dimarzio, and I like that sound, but I'm wondering if there is something that might suit me even better. Wondering about the Seymour Antiquity, but they are kind of pricey.

I like a warm sound, with plenty of mids and bass. I play Country and Rock.

BTW, what's your opinion of the Am. Series P stock pup?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I think the MIA stock P is a perfect pickup if you want to play country and rock.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Just what I was going to say... I have a '96 MIA P, and the pickup has been outstanding in the 10 years that I have owned it... I have used it for country, rock, show-tunes, etc... I has always been appropriate!

-robert

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    OK, thanks for your opinions.

It does sound good, just wanting to make it sound better. Maybe I don't need to change. I'll think on it.

5. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I have a Seymour Duncan (SD) Quarter Pounder and I think it is a great classic rock pickup that can also get "modern" when pushed hard. It tends to have boosted bass, low mids and treble.

I think it makes for a great "meat and potatoes" on steroids pbass tone.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the SD pbass pickups. They do a good job. You can read the reviews on harmony central too.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I also have the SD quarter pounder p pick up and to my ear it is a very modern sounding pickup. Lota of highs and louder but not really deeper bass. If you want to change the pickup for something more Old school/Classic sounding The Fender 60's/Original p-bass pickup is the ticket.

7. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I put a lollar P-bass pickup into my Am Std P-bass along with a Hoveland tonecap and it was a nice upgrade. I still have that great P-bass tone but with a little more sweetness and calrity.

8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    I've got Fralins in mine. Never felt like there was anything missing or anything that could be improved. I abhor honky/quacky P pickups and the MIA's that came with the bass originally had a trace of that. The Fralins don't so that's why I swapped them out and I've been happy since. (2001)

9. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

Dec 10, 2007
    seymour duncan 'hot' pickup give you a warm tone with a lot of bass and mids

10. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I used Delano for more punchy type of sound.

But if you like the tone and sound on the stock pup and no problem with the pup then i will suggest just leave it since is good already :)

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Heres one that could potentially get shot down by others. (I have nothing but good experience with them):

Bartolini's w/Bartolini 3 band electronics, with active/passive switch. You can definitely get "killer mids" with the electronics too.

or Just add an active pre to your existing pups.
    :bag:

12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i'm putting Nordy's in my MIA Fretless P first chance i get.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I like the American Series pickup generally. It sits really well in a band mix, and would be perfect for country. However, I found it lacking in two respects: low output/punch; and lack of clarity in the lows. Thus began the quest.

I tried DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan SBP-2 Hot, and Lindy Fralin. The DiMarzio lacked vintage warmth, and IMO was only good for really hard rock. But for that it was excellent. The Duncan was great, with a similar overall tonality to the stock Fender, but less highs, clearer and fatter lows, and more output and fatness generally. Extremely versatile, and probably optimum for many players. It has a very smooth tone though, which isn't my thing, and I decided I wanted some of those highs back with a less prominent hump in the low-mids.

So I got the Fralin. It's perfect, with enough grit and aggression for punk and metal, but a warm, classic tone all the same. Give it some flats, and you just won't believe the P-bass righteousness. It has very hot output too. The only split-coil I like as much is G&L's MFD in the SB-2, which is similar, but with even higher output and deeper, thicker lows. It just sounds bigger and badder, but still has a vintage vibe.

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I replaced my MIA P pickup with a Nordstrand NP4. The stock Fender pickup was nice sounding, but a bit furry or unclear, especially in the low-end. I wanted something a bit tighter but still vintagy sounding. So far so good.

15. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks very much for the informative replies!

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Duncans. I felt the stock Lindy's in my US Glaub were a bit thin in the lows, so my tech had SD custom-wind a set of their '62 spec pickups to my specs(which, since I'm a tech dummy, were basically "give me warm and fat for a maple neck P").
    Now this bass sounds so deep and fat, plus, it's LOUD. But it's not an over-the-top aggro P sound. It's very warm and round, and classic--sounds like a slightly deeper and fatter 60's P. Was just around $200 to get 'em done and worth every penny.

17. Mad Tango

Mad Tango

Apr 18, 2006
    Pearland, Tx.
    I have the Fender 62' RI, stock P, Nordstrand NP4, and play on my friend's Antiquity II p PUP. I played on a Lakland Glaub w/Lindy. All are good choices. Here is my take on this issue.
    The Fender 62 RI is 95% vintage/5% modern. Also a tad rawer than others.
    Stock Pup is 70% vintage/30% modern fairly clean and good tone.
    NP4 is very clean with approx. 75% vintage/25% modern sound w/very controlled bottom-great in the mix.
    Antiquity II 95% vintage/5% modern, very warm good sound.
    Lindy 90% vintage/10% modern nice warm sound.
    What I mean by this mixture is that the magnets on these are all new, which brings out a bit more hi-end than a real pup naturally aged. The most vintage sounding new pup I have ever heard comes on the Pino Palladino model which we can't get by itself. However; I like the mixer of mostly old and a touch of new. This is just to get an idea-nothing really accurate about my findings. VERY SUBJECTIVE subject.

18. I've have very good results using Duncan BassLines SPB-1 (Vintage Precision) sounds like a vintage 57 P.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Fenders 62 reissue pups are real nice for what you want.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Sounds like Duncan did a heavy overwind for you, which also describes their SPB-2 Hot for P-bass, and your sonic description matches the SPB-2 perfectly -- heavy, phat, round version of vintage tone. (BTW, I had a '94 MIJ Fender Foto Flame Precision that produced this tone with its stock pickup. Apparently Fender used hotter overwound pickups for awhile in the 1990's.)

Lindy Fralin will also do overwinds at a customer's request, and 5% is the standard. I considered this because I liked the deeper lows of the SPB-2, but I'm very happy with the standard wind. I find it gives plenty of bass, though of course this varies with string choice, treble control setting, etc. I like how its lows have a little crunch, and don't get too boomy. The G&L MFD gives even more bass, so if I want that deeper, heavier split-coil sound I can grab my SB-2.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021