1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a pedal comp that isn’t too pricey.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xI Jonathan Ix, Aug 3, 2020.

1. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    I’m looking around at some compressors for my pedalboard. I have a decent rackmount but, I want to get my pedalboard FOH-ready for those situations where I can leave the amp & cab at home (slimming the rack would be a bonus too).

Do any of the cheaper minis do well enough? I’m mainly a pick/fingle-style player (I don’t slap) doing mostly hard rock tunes. So clean/quiet operation is my main must. Not too noticably squashy sounding if I’m picky.

Some I’ve looked at:
    TC Spectracomp mini
    TC Hypergravity mini
    JHS Tighty Whitey

The EHX Tone Corset has quite a few reviews about being noisy and even easily overdriven? I was also recently pretty underwhelmed with another EHX purchase but, maybe you’ve had a better experience with it?

Anyway, simple is fine, under $150 is my aim. Whatcha got?

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Broughton Apex

Zbysek, spantini and xI Jonathan Ix like this.
  3. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    MXR bass compressor rocks my bass, lovely and flexible, sounds pretty good to my eats.

Analogue too, bonus for me anyway.

Not cheap but great value IMO.

Liko, chuck65, JackNasty and 7 others like this.
  4. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    You're talking about the Rothwell Love Squeeze. Extremely quiet, transparent, and non-squashy.

spantini and xI Jonathan Ix like this.
  5. Opto comp

TheWedge and xI Jonathan Ix like this.
  6. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    The Ampeg?

7. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

I use an EBS Multi Comp. It's super easy to dial in and has three types of comp sounds on a simple three way switch.

8. Yup

9. Its essentially the same compressor they use on thier amps, but you're able to have a little control with the two knobs and a volume. Real simple though. And, the light comes on and fades off when its compressing and releasing, so you have a solid visual of whats going on as well as the sound. Not bad at all.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The TC Spectracomp is great, if you like diving in and tweaking stuff via the computer interface. Its weakness is, if you get on a gig, and don't like the setting you programmed in, you have one knob to adjust whatever it is you don't like, and if you didn't program that for the parameter(s) you need to change, well......

11. What are you using in your rack and do you like how it performs?

xI Jonathan Ix likes this.
  12. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Keeley Bassist

13. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    I like the DOD Milk Box, not fancy but sounds good, does the job.

14. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    I have a dbx 166xl and my SVT has compression built-in. The dbx does fine, all the parameters I could care to fool with are there, transparent, clean sound. The SVT’s one compression knob does alright but it’s not as musical or transparent of a comp as I would expect. Sooo I like the dbx, kinda ‘meh’ about the SVT’s compression.

trevcda and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    I like simple when it comes to the always-on boxes. I can’t imagine that I’d ever change it for any situation, practice or gigging. It would be near the end of the signal chain for the purpose of controlling both plucking and effect-volume dynamics.

JeezyMcNuggles likes this.
  16. Nobis17

Nobis17 Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2018
    New England
    I've ever been disappointed with anything from JHS

17. spantini

spantini

Jun 13, 2020
    Lakeland, FL USA
    I always use the Boss CS-3. I got it mainly for sustain and learned to enjoy the comp side as well.

xI Jonathan Ix likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    ever or never?

maplebar and Nobis17 like this.
  19. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I really like the Wampler Ego Mini. Has a clean blend so you don't lose low end, and can dial-out the squash. I feel like it's a really good set-it-and-forget-it comp. It adds nice punch and presence. Sits the bass in a live mix well. One-fiddy, new. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Aqualung60 and xI Jonathan Ix like this.
  20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Not sure what it costs where you are, but I highly recommend the empress comp. Easy to set up and very transparent i previously used an mxr comp but found that it was affecting my tone too much, even set as subtle as possible. The emotees is only w little more money compared to the mxr m87

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    xI Jonathan Ix and Moosehead1966 like this.