Recommend a practice bass. Tone is not an issue

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by RRWesner, Aug 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RRWesner

RRWesner

Jan 10, 2010
    Hello! I’m looking to make the plunge into an eub and I am specifically looking at the ns design wav series. but could use some advice.

I am looking for a full scale bass that I can use to practice on when I travel. I am a profession musician but I primarily work and live overseas for 6 month contracts but want to keep my chops up while I’m out and away from my upright at home.

I have played DB for years and it was my main instrument before I started playing in this band. Now that my main gigs are out of the country I can only bring my electric but I would be able to bring something like the NS design bass since it’s small-ish unless there is a more compact full scale eub.

And lastly, has anyone used the thumb stop to practice in the transition are and thumb position?

My most important criteria in order:

Easy to travel with
    Full scale (to keep left hand technique)
    I would like it to sound nice. But this is mostly going to be used as a practice tool while I’m away from my nice DB

I’ve read through countless threads on the wav and haven’t found one discussing this in particular. Forgive me if I just missed it!

2. If you want to practice DB playing on an EUB you don‘t want a tripod but a straight endpin.
    If you want to bow a lot (like classical solo), you better get an EUB with a resonance cavity or a moving bridge.

These are not cheap. You can put things on an NS EUB to get there, but I would not recommend that. Have a look at the Italian MK EUBs (specially the classical for bowing) or a Yamaha. There are a few others as well. EUBs need compromises to be small and some of them are hard to correct if not impossible. Be prepared to pay more than a student DB and get less.

Ric Vice, RRWesner, Luigir and 2 others like this.
  3. Martin Spure

Martin Spure

Feb 4, 2020
    Denmark
    RRWesner and Michal Herman like this.
  4. kkenda11

kkenda11 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    RRWesner likes this.
  5. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I have MK Fly model, bought mainly to have an easier drive for rehearsals and occasional touring.
    It serves great for jazz/pizzicato, but it's almost useless for bowing.

RRWesner likes this.
  6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    While I would always recommend a NS I feel it's important to point out that Ned Steinberger never intended these instruments to be acoustic instrument sonic reproductions but new sounds... I think bowing on them is just fine in context. No Never used the thumb stop and I don't like the idea, it's seems like a training wheel to me. Also a good set or strangs does help a lot.

Now then What I think you guys need though is this. Cost be damned you all need this.

equill, HCF, Ric Vice and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    If you go for a full-sized NS Designs (I have one and I love it), Golihur music will sell one with a rigid ski-case that's just the right fit for the instrument in its gig bag, with a bit of space around it for a bow or two, etc. Or for 2.5 times more, a real ATA flight case.
    https://gollihurmusic.com/new-basses/electric-upright-basses/

RRWesner likes this.
  8. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    They're not very fashionable now, but I always thought the Merchant Vertical bass felt and played a lot like a real bass, he has these spruce spring bars under the bridge that help it flex like an actual bass. And he'll make you one that matches your neck on your regular bass exactly. The new ones fold in half to go in a flight case, though I've never played one of those newer models. The Merchant Vertical Bass Home Page

Ric Vice likes this.
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I got to hear the Merchant Vertical Bass, when Bill brought one to St. Louis on a trip, it sounded great! As Brent mentioned, the neck profile should match the one on

your DB. I did that with my Clevinger Keyhole EUB. It makes a huge difference. The NS basses never felt right to me, their profile isn’t suited to my smaller hands and

the string tension is too loose. Toby Chenele in England makes these Cello sized basses that look

and sound nice, but their 34” scales.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    You say you are looking at the Wav. bass, what's holding you up? It's as compact as you'll find, and the cheapest of the lot.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022