1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hordehunterx, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    Im looking to buy a pre-amp... my budget is 1k usd including shipping price to asia, my country dosnt sell a wide range of pre amps and is very overpriced, so trying different pre-amps is not an option. i need something that is kind of the " standard " good pre amp. something that is worth my cash and is fuctional. im still picking a cab, but since i go to a boarding school ill probably go with a 2x10 or similar.. of what brand i dont know, what ever is avalable here since shipping cost of a cab would be out of the questionnn.

2. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    oh and if my taste of music and bass i play matters, i play a lot of victor wooten and jaco ( mostly just as exercises to improve my playing ) and jam to a lot of backing tracks and drum loops ( no specific style ) ... i play a fender jazz, so anything that works well with that tone ( if that matters )

3. Seriously check out an Aguilar Tonehammer DI pedal. It will drive any power amp, is a great DI as well, and sounds fantastic. Not going to break your budget either.

4. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Yamaha pb1 - can you find one of these local?

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The best 'bass' preamp I have tried is the Glockenklang 'Bassart' preamp.

It's flexible and extremely well made.

6. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    hmm what about the aguilar tonehammer 350? would that do the trick?

7. That is a whole amp unto itself. Personally if you are looking at the TH-350 I would recommend you just go with the TH-500.

What I was looking at was the Tonehammer DI Pedal. It is pretty much just the Pre amp portion of the TH amp, in pedal form. If you already have a power amp, it is a good way to go. If you do not already have a power amp, then there are a slew of Micro amps that are fantastic for what they are.

The list I would check out:

Aguilar Tonehammer 500
    Ampeg Portaflex 500/800
    Genz Benz Shuttle(max) series
    Genz Benz Streamliner series
    Gallien Kruger MB 500/800/Fusion
    Carvin BX500

There are more micros that are really good, but checking out the ones on this list will give you some perspective on what is out there.

Personally I have a Portaflex and I love the sound I get out of it, but I would relish a TH-500 in my line up as well.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    By reading the OP carefully, I believe he wants a bass head. No mention of poweramp at all, just a 2x10 cab. Might want to clarify before we get too far.

9. Yes I see that now.

If that is the case then one of the micros that has an Aux in and a headphone out would be a good idea. Doesnt need a cab for practice, is small enough for school use, but powerful enough to drive a cab.

10. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    not school use, boarding school.. rooms are small, i want to be able to use the head when i get out of school. so right now i want to get a amp head that i could use for a smaller cab now ( 2x12 l 1x15 ) something like that, and later
    on when i move out of boarding school ill be able to use it for a 4x10 cab or something of that size. something good and small cause ill be carrying it around, and hopefully can power a 4x10

11. Gotcha.

My recommendation for a Micro, with aux in and headphone out still stands. Will let you practice at school with out bugging anyone else. Additionally all of the micro amps I listed above will work fine with a smaller or larger cab. Just be realistic with the amount of volume you will get, and use your ears. If the cab sounds like it will blow up, then it probably means you should turn it down a tad.

12. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    no volume is fine. no one really gets bugged, but yes an aux port would be good to have. thank you. ill look at that list..is there a limitation with these micro amp heads? what do you mean " blow up "?

13. Get an acoustic 360 preamp! There great

14. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Where?

15. Even though the amps I listed are small in physical size, they are quite powerful. All of them are at least 500 watt amps. They will easily drive a small cab past its mechanical limits. So if you hear a cab making noises like you are pushing it too hard (farting or chuffing or distortion) then ease back on the volume.

16. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    ok thats okay :) thank youuuu that helped a lot :D

17. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    i think i might be able to get a genz benz shuttle max in singapore, ill probably go for that.

18. Just to be clear, what country is your bording school in? Might give us a clearer idea of where you are trying to source an amp.

19. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    in malaysia

20. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    but i frequently take trips to dubai, so i can get it in dubai ( i doubt it , music stores thetr are bad and also over priced )