1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a pre, please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Howdy,

I asked this in a slightly different context last week, but here we go again :)

My band regularly uses the bose cylindrical radiator system, but they also like to break out their amps for bigger rooms. I'm also finding that my EBS is not exactly a great fit for this band. Works awesome at church, but this band is classic rock, blues, and some modern rock.

So, I'm definitely going to go with the pre/power setup such that I can use the same pre with bass cabs and the bose system. I want something warmer, so I'm thinking tubes. They expect me to get a good rock/classic rock tone, but still be able to play some of the slap parts the previous bass player would use in a couple of their songs. Doesn't have to be that ultra modern slap tone, but it still needs to bite.

I'll probably end up doing the buy used, experiment, and resell if I don't like it. Unless, I can find a place with a good return policy.

Suggestions welcome...

2. Ampeg SVP-CL with a tube power section would be nice, or the SVT-VR when it comes out would do you well imo Ampeg is the sound you want for rock (again, imo)

3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Any well known songs that you associate with the Ampeg sound?

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    aguilar preamps are nice, the sansamp rbi or rpm maybe.
    good luck

5. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    You know, I owned an Aguilar DB659 for a brief moment. For the life of me, I can't remember why it didn't work out. I think that I was just way too new to bass at the time (7 years ago??), I got it from a local shop on clearance. Maybe I resold it get quick cash... hrm..

From what I remember, Aguilar gear is really expensive. Isn't their new pre like >$1000?

6. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I recently purchased Universal Audio's LA-610. It's a very nice tube unit. I especially like the compressor section.

That said, the best I've tried for live sound is the Avalon U5. I was using this regularly (until I got the LA-610) with the Bose PAS system and it kills. In fact, I've been thinking about goign back to it and adding an outboard compressor.

7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I use an EBS MultiComp for compression. So, no compression on the head necessary :) Actually, I rarely use compression anyway. I may start to use it more, but I never thought I really needed it. I don't slap much live, and when I do I am careful to control that pop! I never thought of my fingerstyle as out of control, unless I totally miss a note. Doubt compression would help with that.. :) Anyway, more suggestions plz!

8. Id also recommend the Ampeg SVP-CL. Super thick and meaty sound. It would be great for classic rock.

Dave

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thick, classic rock sound... Ashdown RPM-1

10. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    How's it sound with your beast?

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The beast is kind of a new addition, & havent had that much time to spend w/ it... But, the middy growliness of my lakland 5501 (stock pre) sounds pretty nice. I was planning on swapping out the MK1 pre, in favor of an NTMB,,, but the warmth of this pre, combined w/ the GS112s work well together, IMHO.

One thing about this pre-amp, if you're gonna crank up the tube valve pot, you'll want to crank it all the way to get a noticeable difference.