1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a project bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psi, Apr 6, 2006.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm in the market for a cheap bass to use as a project bass. My eventual goal is to install 2 EMG soapbars (probably HZs) and a Kahler fixed 4-string bridge. I was thinking about using an Ibanez SR300DX because they're cheap but so damn playable. Any other suggestions for cheap basses with thin / playable necks and decent construction?

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    :bump:

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    :final bump:

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Either Ibanez or SX.

SX you can go routing-happy...necks a little bigger than Ibbys tho. I didn't really notice too much of a difference, and my hands are small.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If it was me I would pick up one of the many very cool-looking vintage Japanese or Italian basses with the groovy pickguards and weird laminates and radio switches. Or a Hagstrom with same. You can pick up any of those, needing a few parts and some TLC, for chump change on Ebay. I've seen some very groovy fixer-uppers go for $20 plus shipping.

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I vote SX. cheap and if you mess up, no biggie cuz it didnt cost much in the first place. Another part of your project could be shaving down the SX neck a bit and putting a nice oil finish on it!

7. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    SX.. or maybe a nice used Yamaha? Shouldn't cost to much aswell..
    and why put HZs in it? They're kind of crap compared to the active soapbars.. On the other hand, if its your sound, why not.. Just think the active EMG's are way better.. Not to cheap though..
    Good luck whit your project :)

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    How about Korean Spector NS-2A with a P-J pup setup?

9. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    The only active pickups I like are the EMGs on my Steinberger XL-2. And I think that has to do with the resonant quality of the XL-2 because I've used other basses with the same active EMGs that I do not care for. I just tend to the like passives because they're a bit warmer. Active EQ gives me plenty of control I think. Actives tend to have powerful lows and highs but those warm mids are lacking. Maybe I've just had bad luck though. Who knows.