1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a Recording to Us...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Headroom, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    What’s a great recording you've come across this year that you think is under-known?

Here's one I've found: Steven Reich, "Music for 18 Musicians".

I'd heard of the composer, but was not that familiar with his work. The entire performance runs nearly and hour. It’s wonderfully organic and hypnotic, ever-changing within its repetitive patterns. The recording was preformed in 1978, and I wouldn't be surprised if this piece has been as influential as Eno's '70s ambient work.

Her's a sample of the music from an NPR story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6184031

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Mark King's first solo album "Influences". It's under-heard, but absolutley amazing. It blows me away, to think he played (almost) everything on it!

3. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Alright, I'm going throw out one more recording before this lonely thread slips into darkness:

James Brown:
    "Love Power Peace-Live at the Olympia, Paris 1971"

Backing band: The JB's, including Bootsy & Catfish Collins, Fred Wesley leading the horns and dual smokin' drummers.

Once the band gets rolling, its possibly the hardest, funkiest live recording I've ever heard- "Sex Machine" and the unified "Super Bad- Get Up, Get Involved- Soul Power" absolutely cook. Even for a James Brown recording, its damn funky.

4. Omnium Gatherum- "Spirits And August Light"
    I think these guys could be the next "melodic death" band to hit the big time. Awesome musicians, I find them totally inspiring.