1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a speaker for 1x12 DIY?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beej, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Hi all,

Around a year ago there was a thread by someone who built a couple of 1x12 boxes using an Eminence speaker and for the life of me, I can't find the thread.

I want to build a small, lightweight 1x12 box, preferably vented, but I'm unsure as to what speaker to go with. I have run several speakers on the Eminence site through WinISD but I'm still stuck.

I have an AMP BH420 and currently run an 8ohm 15" Yorkville cab rated at 220w. I want a single 12" 8ohm cabinet rated for at least 220w so I can run the two together, or just bring the 12 to sessions. Lugging that 15 around is a pain in the butt.

I'd like to have the external dimensions be around 18x14x12ish. I've made plenty of enclosures in the past and know what I'm doing there, I'm mostly looking for advice on which driver to use.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Brief design article at my site. However...

This is a good time to wait. It is expected that Eminence will soon come out with one or two neo 12's that will be more DIY-friendly and bass-worthy than the 2512-ii.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's a small box - smaller than what's typically used for 1/2 of a 210 cab even. So whatever suitable driver you pick from the current crop, you might as well just be using a 10" Deltalite or similar. I'd rethink this, and wait for the 3102 and 3012LF before committing.

4. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Not sure if you are sold on eminence but if not madison knights are another route to go. I cant testify for their 12's but their 10's are top notch. Madison knight 12" driver

5. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The only amusing thing about the Madison drivers is that you get to figure out the units of measure for the T/S parameters.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, I actually found the thread after all, it was by Sundogue and was actually a small 1x15 cab, not a 1x12.

I realize what I want is an exceptionally small cabinet for a 12 (likely just under 1.5 cubic feet), and I'm prepared to sacrifice a little bottom end to get a small, light cab.

I've never used a cabinet with a single 10, but I'm not against trying it. I just didn't think it would yield the same presence that a comparable 12 would. Thoughts?

I do want to stick with Eminence, because I have a dealer locally. I don't want to order off the internet or by phone as its a pain and costly to have things shipped up from the US.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Francis, I appreciate your pointing me to your links. I remember reading several pages on your site last year as well, and now that I think about it, your small box 12 design was probably also what I was thinking of (in addition to Sundogue's).

Thanks again, I'll probably follow yours pretty closely as I need something soon.

I'm not sure I can wait for a new Eminence product, depending on when its expected to arrive on the market. I'd like to have this cab up and running by the end of March.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You'll sacrifice a lot of bottom end. If you must have a small cab you must use a small driver in it or the low frequency response will be nil.

9. Look into the Eminence S2010 in 1.0 cubic feet.

This will give you an F3 around 67 Hz. The bare driver weighs 3.5 pounds. I figure a slot port mini-cab made from 1/2" baltic birch weighs about 19 pounds with the driver.

This is a project I am currently building for my Peavey Minx 110 that I rack mounted. The cab is 15H x 14.5W x 12.5D inches.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    In the past, I've considered some of your designs, there's certainly a fanclub for your work! Have any thoughts on using a single 10 in a non-horn/tuba design?

I've never played one and wonder about the presence. This is for small studio play, we don't get too loud, but I don't want to disappear in the background either.

Sorry about the nature of this thread guys, I realize its a bit namby-pamby to be seeking advice like this when we all know the utility of advice is dependent on parameters that only the asker has real access to...

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That sounds like something I could use as well with my GK MB150S combo.

12. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just a couple notes about my design. The intent was to mimic the response curve of my GK MB150E combo speaker. A comparison of measured curves is in the article. When Eminence introduced the 2512-II driver, it seemed just right for the specific purpose of my design. I was willing to let the box be bigger than the 1 cubic foot outer dimensions of the MB combo, knowing that I would not be able to violate Hoffman's Iron Law. Between the higher sensitivity and higher power handling, I get a lot more sound.

What Bill says about sacrificing a lot of bottom end is accurate. That was my intent, but you have to decide for yourself if it is also your intent.

In recent threads, Bruce has mentioned the limited Xmax of the 2512-II driver, so this is worth repeating here. I was OK with it because I don't plan on adding a lot of bass EQ, so I take advantage of the un-equalized waveform of my bass resulting in lower peak cone excursion. But my speaker is not unconditionally fart-proof. Also, as Bruce notes, increasing the box size to make use of the full bass response of the 2512-II gets you into the territory where a similar sized box would also accommodate a 15 capable of making a lot more sound.

For a 10" system resembling the MB150E, check out the Eminence BP102 driver in ~ 20 liters with a 45 Hz port. I have not looked closely at the S2010 yet, but Bruce knows his stuff.

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Not until 2009 Winter Namm. Some OEM versions of the 3012HO and 3012LF may show up before then, but they won't be available as a catalog item much before next January. They are being built on an entirely new frame, so there's a lot more to it than just beefing up the 2512.

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
  15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I like the basslite, but its only 150w. I need something that can handle at least 220w.

I can't get the Jensen or the Beyma locally, so they are unfortunately off the list. I'm in Canada on the west coast, I guess I should have mentioned that before.

Does this Bruce go by "Bruce" on this site? I'd like to look up his posts...

Thanks again all...

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Oops, sorry. That's bgavin and billfitzmaurice, our resident speaker experts.

17. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If you run displacement limited power handling and output functions on the 2012 you'll find that despite the conservative thermal Pe rating its maximum SPL output is higher than most twelves.

18. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks, I'm off to search more...

19. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I totally agree. I've tried single 10 cabs and single 12 cabs and the 12's always sound better and fuller.

As for the speaker, can't help you.

20. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks for the tip. Yes, I've looked at your design and it looks great for your use. I may need a little bit more ability to add bass boost at times, but I know I am limited by what the MB's internal 12" will handle. I did try the MB150 combo with a 1x10 Eden extension one time in a music store and was quite impressed by the combined sound. I don't know if Eden still makes that model. I believe it had a co-axial speaker in it. I don't think I need any upper frequency extension though.