1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend: always on fattener/dirt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mouthmw, Mar 27, 2013.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I've been using VT bass v2 with my GK 700RB II for a long time as an always on tool to fatten up and dirty up my tone a bit. I'd like to try out something different because VT can be a bit finicky with the eq, especially in problematic rooms/venues. What I've had in mind was maybe a booster like phat phuck b or fulltone fat boost 3 because I also boost my signal volume with vt (using a passive jazz). Or maybe a dirt pedal like pork loin? I tried the b3k but I want something less modern. Also, nothing too clanky and bright.
    So - fat up/warm up/add grind dirt. No scooped mids either.
    Or does VT sound like the best tool for the job?

2. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    Sounds like you want a pork loin but I'm surprised you couldn't achieve what you wanted with the B3K with the attack switch off and the grunt switch on, it sounds pretty fat and dirty.

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    To be honest, I didn't play too much with the b3k. A guy lend it to me on a gig so I didn't experiment much. What about the new vintage microtubes?

4. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    After a lot of research I have a Fuzzrocious BDPG on order for that purpose -- it is one of the few pedals whose primary intended use is exactly what you specified. I also considered boosters like the Phat Phuk or Fulltone, overdrives like Pork Loin or ss/bs Mini, or preamps-with-dirt like the Xotic BB.

5. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    +1 for the BDPG. It does for me exactly what you are looking for.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Exactly what I do with my Pork Loin. It's designed for that. I'm also on the lookout for that same sound out of a smaller pedal, but so far nothing has come close.

7. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    I haven't tried the vintage microtubes yet but I think it's suppose to be a bit more subtle. I've been able to get some really warm, tubey OD from the B3K though, just had to change my EQ settings a bit on my head.

8. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Fuzzrocious Dark Driving

9. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    After testing a number of things, here is another vote for the Pork Loin. A click of the switch takes me from normal polite P bass thump to grit/wool/edge when I dig in. I can dial in as much or as little as I like, without feeling like there is a fuzz fest.

10. Fairfield Barbershop.

JBoogy likes this.
  11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I have two simple pedals that I am tempted to leave on all the time: HAO Sole Pressure and Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker. Oddly both are 'guitar' pedals but they sound great no matter what I'm playing through them.

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think you would like the Vintage by Darkglass. I had but returned it to get a B7K becasue I wanted something more raunchy. The Vintgae was an awesome pedal but I couldnt get what I was looking for out of it. It is a very warm pedal and may be right up your alley. I also use the VT. The vintage comlpliments it very well if used together.

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Vintage microtubes sounds great. But if I'm getting something, I'd be replacing my VT Bass with something that's easier to tweak. So it has to sound great by itself (which it does) and play well with other pedals.

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have both the Phat Phuk B and the Pork Loin.

The PPB is mainly for adding light dirt and beefing up my tone a little bit.

The Pork Loin really could be a good choice for you. Especially on settings with the drive knob around 12, and the clean setting all the way clean, it really fattens up and gets a nice tone.

15. AllForYourDelig

AllForYourDelig

Sep 25, 2012

Could you talk a little bit more about the difference between these two pedals?

I'm looking for a similar tone enhancement (growl/sparkle) the OP is and I'm looking at these 2 pedals specifically. Something to kick on when I need a little bit more umph.

16. Phat Phuk B!