Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend an 810 for me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 14, 2006.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I will also consider a 610.

I like the clear and modern SWR sound. I know, get a G Sr or Mega and be done with it. But I want to see other opinions.

Thanks.

2. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Aggie?

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Hmmm... MF has Aggie S810's on "sale" for a good price. Interesting.

4. Having used the SWR 810, I would strongly reccomend it if you're in the market for an 810. I gigged and practiced extensively with one for over a year and it amazed me the entire time I owned it. Mine was made in 2000 and only cost me 650 brand new! It absolutely crushed the ampeg 810 in every way possible. You can even run it stereo if you like. Haven't tried the Aguilar, but I can imagine its very good if it is like any of their other products.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I can't remember who said it first, but Bergantino NV610, best 810 on the market.

6. I wouldn't say though the Bergantino sounds like SWR. The Bergantino NV series is a different animal. Although yes it is better.:smug:

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Im still reppin' Ampeg

I use one, it owns. Enough said

8. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Just as a reference point, my Aguilar S810 was $699 new from Bass Northwest (I live near them).

Music123.com has it for $999.

Just so you have a better idea what you should be paying. I like it a lot, but I don't have experience with much else (Hartke 410 and Peavey 410). It has a Speakon input, which I like.

9. For a vintage tone check out the Bergantino NV610 (I know you said 8X10 but trust me, the Bergie kills all 8X10 cabs I have ever heard)....Since you said more modern, I would check out the Aggie, for the money it is hard to beat and quite a bit lighter than an Ampeg........Good Luck

Peace,

T

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Epafani 610. Don't get the Bergantino. I have one, love it, but its everything the SWR sound is not. Eden 610 and 810 would also be good to check out.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like the idea of 2 410s, I can't understand how someone can be sane and have a giant 810 cab to haul around.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Who said anything about hauling it around? This is for my living room. Two 410s is a good idea too.

13. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    +1 on the Ampeg, SVT610HLF is a sweet sounding cab

14. Agreed about the Bergantino which is why I said Vintage. Bergie is very Vintage but nowhere near HiFi....The Epi could be a good choice as well but I have only experienced the 310 and it was very much different than the NV610!!

Peace,

T

15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i used to think that too, but after watching a guy tilt his eden 610xlt back, roll it out to the van and tip it in, i am sold... no dead lifting like with a heavy 4x10... plus it just looks cool... the only downside(s) is a) need a big enough car (which i have) and b) stairs, although they all have wheels and top mounted handles, and if worst comes to worst, you could get a two wheel dolly (like i plan on doing so as not to nick up the cab on the edges of the stairs)

oh yeah, and i would recommend the eden d610xlt, although i don't really think it's "swr-esque"- you'll probably have to get a goliath sr or megoliath (or maybe some ebs stuff?)

16. +1 :hyper:

17. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Eden if you like their sound.

Genz Benz might be interesting option too. Can't beat the customer service.

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well, I've played several of the cab's mentioned here. I tend to like the SWR (hi-fi) sound more than the good ole' warm/fuzzy tube sound. I've owned several Goliath cab's and regretted selling each one. I gigged with a Mega Goliath for awhile and although it sounded good and was built like a tank, it's sound was different than the Goliath's I was used to. Not near as crisp to my ears as the Goliath. I still own a Goliath Senior and it to is a great cab although it reminds me more of the Mega than the regular Goliath.

I've had a couple of Ampeg fridges...these aren't my cup of tea either, however for midrange warmth they totally kill...no mix around that you can't cut through with an Ampeg fridge. Like the Mega...I hated lugging the thing around. They're seriously heavy. Now I just pretty much use a Mesa PH 1000 cab...it seems to provide me with a good mix between hi-fi and classic sounds.

Never played the NV610 although I have heard that it's one awesome cab, especially paired with a Mesa 400+.

Also haven't played, or heard very much on Aggie's new 8x10...but Aggie has a really good rep for quality stuff so I would definately give it a listen as well.

If I could do without the sound of a good 15 that I have grown used to...I'd do my best to find a couple of Goliath's or a couple of old Trace cab's (one's with the tuneable ports) and those two 4x10's would be MY 8x10.

19. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    I have owned both cabs and I must say the svt 410hlf sounds better, IMHO, than the 810. Before I sold my 810e, I got the svt 410hlf and had the opertunity to play them side by side. I prefer the 410hlf, as it was cleaner, (horn), louder, to my ears, (again, the horn I think) and because of the difference in cabinet design...ported are usually 3db louder than sealed.