Recommend an alternative to my Yamaha BB425

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Thinker, May 2, 2012.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVE the sound of my BB425 and have no complaints about the construction, weight, finish, B string, etc.

However, the large body creates a bit of an issue for me. I have an unusual (unique?) issue with my forearm that prevents me from rotating my right wrist. The broad body of the BB with its high upper bout makes it physically difficult for me to slap, and even a bit uncomfortable to play with a pick, because of the way I have to bend/move my wrist.

Can anyone recommend a quality 5-string bass that sounds similar to the BB series--or at least has a clean, full sound without too much overt "character" (like Warwick or MusicMan, for instance) but that has a smaller body? I also want medium to wide string spacing. Price preferably below $600 used, but I would consider going significantly higher for the right bass.

Thanks!

2. What are some basses you played that HAVE been comfortable for you? I'm just wondering how severe it is. If most basses do not work for you, and you really like this one, you could have the body reshaped and refinished. It wouldn't be cheap, but at least you know it would work.

3. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    That's an interesting thought about reshaping. I doubt I'd go that far, but you never know. I guess I could also drop the electronics in another bass, but would prefer to avoid going the modification route if possible.

Probably most basses would feel OK as long as they don't have a huge body or narrow string spacing. Mainly I want to see if there are any other 5ers in the price range that have a similar sound. The BB basses seem to have (and I know this is weird) almost a complete lack of a distinctive character when the P and J pickups are combined. Very "neutral" harmonically, but with an ideal balance of bottom, top, mids, punch and fullness. I'd like to find that in a bass that's more comfortable.

4. Sam Marshall

Sam Marshall

Nov 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Neutral tone hmm? Perhaps a 5 string Conklin Groovetools or a used Carvin. Other Yamaha basses sound similar to the BBs with different body types. I had one of those green RBX's for awhile. Great bass!

5. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You know, I've been looking at those older RBX basses. They have a dual soapbar pickup configuration--do they still sound similar to the P/J BB basses (which admittedly don't sound like a P or a J)?

6. I just sold an rbx 760 with the soap bars (and green too!) that i played for about 9 years It was super comfortable, but the sound was not at all like my BB424x that replaced it. I think the Nathan East models of the BB basses have smaller bodies. At least they look that way.

7. Although in second thought you could try swapping the pickups for an EMG 40 p+j set, which is what I had planned on doing before I sold them all. You can probably find an rbx 765 used for about 200.

8. try the Schecter Custom Diamond P V

9. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone compared a similar Yamaha to the new MTD CRB? All I have to go by are the youtube vids, but with the tone pot opened the CRB sounded surprisingly neutral and clear, but still full. Of course, hard to tell from a Youtube video, so any input would be of interest.

Thanks!

10. Sam Marshall

Sam Marshall

Nov 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Not really, they sound like the dual soapbar BBs. There are BBs with P and J configs, but if I recall the soapbars in the BBs are the same as the older RBX. Could be wrong, I was playing those basses a decade ago! You can emulate either or with a decent amp with some tube gain. I liked the Yamahas for the value and versatility, not as a fender substitute.

I don't care for the MTDs. Every one I played had frets that seemed too tall, the neck not as soft as my other well broken in basses. They are pretty though!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021