1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend an e-reader that can surf the web

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Instead of getting a smart phone or carrying a laptop on the road, I am considering getting an e-reader (wi-fi only.)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a big compromise involved in that. The best e-readers as far as reading goes use e-ink displays for the lack of eye strain. E-ink makes for a pretty slow web experience, and the internet functionality on nearly every e-ink reader is a far second to the reading aspect of it. If you don't mind the backlit aspect, an Ipad or Kindle Fire will work fine for both. I greatly prefer the e-ink display on my Kindle Touch for reading though, so I just take my netbook with me for anything web-related. Most people don't want two devices to carry around instead of one, but if you both read a lot and use the internet a lot, you're really better off with two.

Plus you can get both a Kindle and a small netbook for around $400 these days, which is crazy cheap if you think about it.

3. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    My wife has the Kindle. It's only black and white but she can surf the web anywhere, it is the one without wi-fi connectivity. That's good if we are on the highway.

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have a nook tablet and it's pretty awesome. still not ideal for web-surfing, but better than an iphone.

5. Kindle Fire, color version. I have tested one for a couple of weeks and it works very well. Web browser is very good, and Wi-Fi is all you need.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'm going wi-fi to avoid data plan charges. All of the places I stay at while traveling have it.

7. If you're not set on e-ink, I also recommend the kindle fire (my gf has one), less than half the cost of the cheapest ipad (which I have), but a very good reader and a better internet experience compared to the classic kindle, and it's decent enough for light multimedia stuff (music, video, games).

However, if you prefer the e-ink for reading, get the kindle touch for reading and the kindle fire for everything else...at $300 for the pair and both items being pretty small, that's my vote.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I got my wife a Nook color a while back. She uses the heck out of it and loves it.

9. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a Kindle Fire that I really like. Books, games, netflix, web surfing, amazon cloud...does everything I need it to do.

10. I was kicking around the idea of getting a kindle fire and a kindle touch next week. After a ringing endorsement from TB, I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on that decision...