Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend booking agencies or promoters?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xush, Mar 12, 2006.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    It's getting to where I can't handle the booking and promotional side of things myself anymore; our band has been arranging small indie tours around the country lately, and they tend to escalate as you travel and make more friends and contacts. It's at the point now where we've tried a few booking agents and promoters. It's helped a little, but we need to find some with a little wider reach.

If anybody here could recommend an agency they've used or know of that finds gigs for original acts, we'd love to hear about them. A lot of the decent venues don't seem to deal directly with bands, so if you're using promoters or agents that put shows together, we're looking for those kind of contacts.

The indie-approach is great, but I'm just running out of time in the day to coordinate everything anymore.
    Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.
    thanks!
    mark

2. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    A lot of my friends have worked with the Agency Group. They have offices on both coasts and will work with Independant artists if it's worth their time.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks man, I gave them a call.
    They don't consider unsolicited submissions though, has to be from a label, lawyer or manager.

4. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I don't have any experience with this, so I can't personally recommend a booking agency, but if you go to this website:

http://www.starpolish.com/resources/

they have listings of promoters and tour management companies.

Good luck and congrats on your success!

5. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    Hey Xush...here's a trick I've used in a former band to make us seem bigger than we are that actually worked.

Have a fake name for a manager, have an e-mail address created on your website that says for management speak with John Smith...and reply to all e-mails from John Smiths e-mail account. You could also set up a voice mail box for this person if you have a band line. This will allow you to say things as a "manager" that you wouldn't say as a band member. I would recommend having the best "salesperson" in the band take on this role.

We did this for a manager and promoter and got a lot better response and moved along quicker than we would have by trying to accomplish things as members of the band.

Also, PM me and I'll give you the name of a contact in their NY that I know works with unsigned Indie acts. Often going straight to a contact works better than just cold calling their office.