Recommend drum machine, etc for pre-set latin rhythms

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bass301, Sep 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bass301

Bass301

Jul 13, 2008
    Hello,

What drum machines have the best latin rhythm pre-sets ---- the most realistic grooves and the most realistic percussion instrument sounds ?

I am a bassist who as a separate activity is learning various styles of latin dancing and would like to use the steady tempo of a drum machine to set the pace during my dance practices. This would allow for learning at very slow tempo then increasing to faster tempos as part of the learning process.

Other thoughts :

(A) Using the pre-sets mainly as a metronome, as an alternative would any of the electronic metronomes ( Boss db series, etc) have useful grooves and tones of latin rhythm pre-sets compared to a drum machine ?

(B) Using an Android phone, are any useful apps available ?
    I have heard of Luis Martinez apps for Apple.

(C) Using a laptop computer, what software would be most useful ?

My first preference is a stand alone drum machine but am open to considering other alternatives.
    Budget is under $ 300 and below for new or used, with the lower the better.

Thanks

2. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    If you had an iOS device, I'd recommend DrumJam by Pete Lockett. Not sure if it is Android also, but worth checking. If so, if will be just a few dollars.

Otto

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    For a laptop, ~ $130 gets you the basic version of Band in a Box. It will handle your dance practice, and you'll find it musically useful well beyond that.

The main function of the software: type in chord sequences, specify a musical style, and the program will generate multipart arrangements either with MIDI instruments or "RealTracks"—recorded instrument patterns and phrases. Once you've typed in the chords (which is dead simple), you can easily change the style, instrumentation, tempo, key of the arrangement—and change the mix, mute or solo individual parts, and export some or all of the arrangement as MIDI tracks, separate audio tracks, or as a stereo audio mix. It's a great practice and arrangement tool, makes it easy to write clean chord sheets (and notation) for bandmates.

Check out the medium bossa and AfroCuban SonMontuno demos for a taste of the RealTracks.

seamonkey likes this.
  4. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Sorry, I checked and its iOS only.

Otto

5. As a drum machine replacement for latin???? Really?
    I own it and I like the idea, but most arrangements and backing tracks are just horrible.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes
    To each their own tastes.
    It meets the op's requests
    Band In a Box mentioned above with realdrums is great.
    Both are super simple to put in songs, speed them up, slow them down and loop forever.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022