Recommend drum machine, etc for pre-set Latin rhythms

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bass301, Sep 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bass301

Bass301

Jul 13, 2008
    Hello,

What drum machines have the best latin rhythm pre-sets ---- the most realistic grooves and the most realistic percussion instrument sounds ?

I am a bassist who as a separate activity is learning various styles of latin dancing and would like to use the steady tempo of a drum machine to set the pace during my dance practices. This would allow for learning at very slow tempo then increasing to faster tempos as part of the learning process.

Other thoughts :

(A) Using the pre-sets mainly as a metronome, as an alternative would any of the electronic metronomes ( Boss db series, etc) have useful grooves and tones of latin rhythm pre-sets compared to a drum machine ?

(B) Using an Android phone, are any useful apps available ?
    I have heard of Luis Martinez apps for Apple.

(C) Using a laptop computer, what software would be most useful ?

My first preference is a stand alone drum machine but am open to considering other alternatives.
    Budget is under $ 300 and below for new or used, with the lower the better.

Thanks

2. Try drumgenius on Android. Has some latin rhythms that you can use for practice purposes.

3. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I would suggest the Beat Buddy mini, but it only has a few presets per style, so if you went that route, I would highly recommend trying one first, to make sure it had rhythms that met your needs. The upside is that it is only $100.

Another option is the regular Beat Buddy. Not only does it have a lot more stuff built in, you can also program or just download tons more. They are $300 new, but can be had used for under $250. I am sure this would do anything you wanted and more.

Of course, both of these are just pedals with a 1/4" output, so you would need some type of combo amp to actually produce the sound. I run mine at the end of my pedals, straight into the bass amp. (I figured that might not be a problem, considering where you are posting this)

4. Bass301

Bass301

Jul 13, 2008
    bump for weekend

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022