Recommend good amp/cab setup < $1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, May 17, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I am posting to ask the most basic of questions. I am an 5-string electric player, recently transitioned from electric upright. To date, I've been using the same amp setup I used with my electric upright: a GK-MB150S combo with an additional external GK 112BMX speaker. With my last band, the setup worked fine: super-portable, loud enough as is for small clubs, and for larger venues I could direct out from the GK into the band's very good PA, using the GK as a monitor.

However, I have left that band and am planning to join another, but I am concerned that without a good PA to hook into, my current setup won't cut it. I'd like to upgrade to something with more power that could hold its own in a large club. I'd also like something that would allow me to take
    full advantage of the B string. For flexibility, I'm inclined toward a head & cab setup rather than a combo, and ideally I'd like to find something that will fit in my Jetta and won't destroy my back hauling it around. Reliability is also important to me.

I'm not looking to go broke on this purchase, but I don't want to have to upgrade in a year or 2 either -- right now I'm hoping I can get what I need for $1200 or less.

I don't really know where to begin here. Is there a good "standard" setup I should be looking at / trying -- a sort of benchmark against which other systems are measured? Is there a website where I can get solid info on amp buying?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eden 410XLT or XST. Your choice of amplifiers. But I'd certainly go with Eden.

In fact, for 1200, you could get a Metro 2x10 combo and then some sort of extension cab, like an Eden 115XLT. It'd do your body good.
  3. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    What's the difference between the XLT and the XST?
  4. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Visually- Not much the XLT has an extra port. Tonally- The XST has a flatter responce and the "Mid-bump" that the XLT is known for is not there.
    That being said the XLT has become somewhat of an industry standard as im sure the XST will. Personally i find that if you are having trouble being heard in a band a dose of XLT will usually remedy the situation (Its cuts like a Mo-Fo).
  5. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Try the EBS combos. Loud as can be and sweetly clean.
    $1200 should cover it....and I second the Eden Metro.
    They make great combos IMHO. Eden I think would have more warmth but that is my ears...which have been known to hear odd things.... :D
    Keeping the Funk Alive on HWY 8 for another hundred years!
  6. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I go along with the Eden choices.
    If you shop around, and dont mind used, you can get some good prices. I got my WT 600 head for $730 off ebay, and my 4x10XLT used for $650 from a local music store.
  7. How loud are you going to need to be? If incredible volume isn't too much of a concern you might want to check into Acme Bass Cabs. I use a Low B-4 with a 1400 watt pre/power amp set-up. I can get any sound I want in pretty much any situation. The only "issue" is that I can only hit a max SPL of around 126db. This has been more then loud enough for me, YMMV. A decent pre-amp, power amp, and Low B-4 would run in the neighborhood of $1500 or so. You might be able to fudge that a little on the used market. Just a thought...
  8. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The XST has Eden's newest drivers, which extend the low end down to -3dB at 31 Hz IIRC - which sounds like a good thing for a 5-string (the -3dB on the XLT is more like 41 Hz, or the four-string low end).

The XSTs were designed with one slot port to be more compact and lighter than the XLT. You will find more than a few people on this forum who love the XLTs except for the weight.