1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RECOMMEND: Hardware Synth Modules?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I'm not thinking of this necessarily as a BASS effect - though it could be - but as a general MIDI-driven synth. There are a LOT of them around, some dating back to the early 1980s, and I just have little experience with this sort of thing; mostly I've only done softsynths.

But if you had to recommend, say, three units - analog, digital or some combination of the two, synthesis or sampler, etc. - what would you go with?

It'd be great if they were rack-mount, but that's not a hard requirement.

2. For analog I would go for the Studio Electronics stuff. It's a little pricey but dominates for analog leads and have the best bass sounds out of anything out there. NOt to mention the modulation capabilities for sound fx. I like the Se1-x for its versitility but you can get some great sounds from the ATCs, especially with the four filters option. For something digital I would try to check out the Alesis Ion. Its got lots of versitility for programing and the sounds are very good, for it being digital. You also get an extra modulation wheel which comes in very handy. Its got a bunch of endless rotary encoders so you easily get at all the parameters and alter them in relation to their current state, which I think can be helpful. It kind of depends on your budget though and what features are going to be priorities for you.