Recommend high gain pedals that play well with high output humbucking pickups

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Aug 15, 2016.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

The title says it all. I'm looking for blistering distortion or fuzz that will still be able to give me a serious volume bump even with a high output MFD split coil humbucker in front.

My Silicon b:assmaster sounds great but full up doesn't always give me the boost I need in a mix. I think it prefers alnico P pickups.

My Idiot Box Blower box is not quite high enough distortion at full out but has more boost on tap even with my insanely hot pickup output. If I could mate that with a Heavy Metal Pedal or something, we'd be golden.

Yes, I could turn volume on my bass down, but I actually like what happens to the sound of the pickup in the last 25% of the turn when I'm not using overdrive or fuzz, which is most of the time. Something cool happens in the midrange.

For a bit of overdrive on top of what my amp provides, the Xotic BB preamp has been great for me.

If you play with high output pickups--ceramic Delanos, G&L MFDs, EMGs, whatever, I would love to know what you're using for really over the top distortion with lots of good mids and no low end loss.

TIA.

2. I play an 80's Carvin with high output humbuckers and it can be a bit of a challenge to get a full on drive that still offers a good boost. My search was ended when I got the newer version of the Fuzzrocious BDPG with the added gain stage. All told it has 3 gain stages and an excellent tone stack. I have an xp gain pedal (xotic EP style) that pushes it over the top into barely controlled feedback mode. Sadly it was a limited production item but the do turn up used from time to time. Reverb has this one right now with a nekkid box and the full peen artwork. Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery 2015

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    RML 432K

nshuman likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021