Recommend Jazz Piano Trio Albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fclefgeoff, May 20, 2003.

1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Hi. I am a big fan of Red Garland, Bill Evans, and McCoy Tyner. Can you recommend some other Jazz trio albums that I might dig? I REALLY like the Red Garland Trio and I am looking for stuff along those lines. Thanks.
  2. Everybody...Digs...Bill...Evans - 1 of the best

the Keith Jarrett stuff is great too.

Check out Ahmad Jamal??
  3. Oscar Peterson - lots of examples with many different line-ups, but he tends to play rather a lot of notes - don't get me wrong, he's one of the finest pianists - but the notes come thick and fast.

Bill Evans - with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian - classic piano/bass/drums

George Shearing - again, many examples featuring lots of fine players - not everyone's cup of tea, but I am particularly fond of George Shearing's compositions and his arranging style.

Jon Raney Trio - Interesting mixture of standards and originals - fine music, nice arrangements, great playing by Jon Raney (piano), Eric Halvorson (drums), and a bassist whose name escapes me for the moment... er, um - Ned? Ted? Ed? Threw? Through? Few? Fugues? Something-or-other?...

- Wil
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...definitely Oscar peterson...some great stuff there.

might I suggest Medeski martin and wood, though they have no real focus per se, they are not a piano trio, the piano is very prominent.

some of their stuff is a bit abstract though.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Brad Mehldau Trio!!! Great stuff...check out any of the albums from their "Art of the Trio" series. I like Vol.2 the best...all live, pretty adventurous, lots of improv.

brad cook

ps - btw - I LOVE Medeski Martin and Wood but putting them with these other bands mentioned are apples and oranges. They are fantastic but if you're looking for straightahead jazz they're not it.
  6. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    I already own "Everybody Digs..." and "Money Jungle" and a "Best of Ahmad Jamal". Oscar Peterson doesn't use a drummer does he? I have listened to MMW but I'm looking for more traditonal stuff, although I hear that their first album is like that. I will have to check out the Brad Mehldau Trio and Jon Raney Trio. I also should add that I have a Wynton Kelly album "Kelly Blue" that is pretty good but there are some horns on a few tracks. I also like Thelonius Monk and Bud Powell and have a few of their albums as well. Good suggestions so far. Any more?
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ed Thigpen, anybody?

The Jon Raney Trio with KungFuqua is definitely worth having.

-Ellington's Solos, Duets, & Trios with Jimmy Blanton.
    -Andrew Hill's Nefertitti(bass: Richard Davis)
    -Frank Kimbrough's Chant(bass: Ben Allison)

-Corea has some trio albums:
    Now He Sings, Now He Sobs with Miroslav Vitous & Roy Haynes. Others with the same line-up include Trio Improvisations & Trio Improvisations Live...caveat: Both of those are a little 'out' as is Corea's Arc album with Dave Holland & Barry Altschul.
    Corea's Akoustic Band Live at The Tokyo Blue Note(Patitucci & Vinnie Coliauta) is ridiculous...for the drumming!

Don't forget about Herbie Nichols & Don Pullen.
  8. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    The new Bad Plus Cd is great... check it out. contemporary jazz trio based in NYC.
  9. Another vote for Mehldau. I have also been diggin some of the stuff with Ellis Marsalis and Herbie Hancock. I don't have any specific CD titles, but check around to see what they have out. I have heard some really nice trio stuff with wait--or was that live?
  10. Let's see...

Herbie did a couple of great late-'70s piano trio records--there's Herbie Hancock Trio, and under Ron Carter's leadership there's Third Plane.

Geoff, what of McCoy Tyner's stuff do you have? Trident and Supertrios are both excellent trio discs.

Do make sure to check out the first Standards Trio disc--it's actually a Gary Peacock date entitled Tales of Another.

Sonny Clark Trio is one of the unsung classics of hard bop.

Michel Camilo is another great one. If you want to hear tasteful electric bass in a jazz context (courtesy of Anthony Jackson--who else?), you owe it to yourself to check out his newest disc Triangulo. His self-titled debut from '88 is pretty keen as well.
  11. The John Campbell Trio 'Workin' Out'...which includes some real nice takes on tunes like:
    (1)Maiden Voyage.
    Many more excellent tunes on this local Jazz station(WDCB), which transmits out of the College of Dupage plays tons of Artists/Groups/CD's that may not be household names....but give me anexcuse to make a pilgrimmage to Amazon.Com peridically.

I'd also recommend any of Chick Corea's acoustic groups throughout the years.
    Also, a great DVD to catch if you are into some latin 'Calle 54', which incldes a killer tune by the Michel Camilo trio...Camilo and Anthony Jackson have an incredible duel.
  12. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Don't forget about Chick's New Trio (Avashai Cohen on bass, Jeff Ballard on drums) that put out'Past, Present & Futures' a couple of years ago.

I do have a nice video of Chick, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White playing as an acoustic band with Joe Henderson - they do '500 Miles High' as a trio - smokin! It's out on DVD now, called 'A Very Special Concert'.

One a different topic, try to track down some Kenny Drew records with NHOP on bass and Alvin Queen on drums.
  13. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Oscar Peterson

"Night Train"

"We Take Requests"

Both feature Ray Brown.
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hell yeah.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Look for some Tommy Flanagan and Barry Harris too. I like Bruce Barth a lot as well, though I can't think off the top of my head if he's recorded much with a trio (I know he often gigs with one, 'cause I saw him with Ugonna Ukegwe {sp?] and Al Foster).
  16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Those are all excellent suggestions above. I am a big fan of Ahmad Jamal, Oscar Peterson and Geroge Shearing. Brad Melhdau's version of "Bewithched, Bothered and Bewildered" is one of the most hauntingly beautiful I've heard of that song.

No one has suggested an old timer pianist who has been both a noted classical orchestra conductor and a jazz pianist. That would be Andre Previn. His jazz work just grows on me. I've been a fan of his since the early fifties when I was a pre-teen!

Some of his best trio and quartet CDs include "After Hours", "King Size," and "Uptown." Ray Brown ably handles the bass duties on one of those, but I forget which one.
  17. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Don't forget piano DUOs! The cool thing about them is that, without the drums, the basslines are so much better to hear and transribe. One of my favorite is Tommy Flanagan with George Mraz on bass.
  18. fclefgeoff

Jan 3, 2002
    Anton Visser your sig made my day, LOL!:p

I picked up a couple of Mehldau CD's this weekend and will definitely be getting more soon. I bought "The Art of the Trio Volume 3" and "Largo". The latter isn't necessarily trio stuff but after listening to his take on "Paranoid Android" I had to have it. I must agree with Boplicity's comment, "Bewithched, Bothered and Bewildered" is very beautiful. I think it's cool that Mehldau can take contemporary stuff and make it sound like an old standard. Case in point, Nick Drake's "Riverman". I always loved that song and never envisoned it in a jazz setting. Good stuff!