1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend me a 4x10 for distorted bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by runmikeyrun, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I know tone is very subjective, but i'd just like a ballpark recommendation on the right cab for me. I play a 5 string tuned to B standard with a lot of emphasis on the low notes. I use a pre/power amp setup and play with a lot of fuzzy distortion with a decent amount of midrange. I like to have good low end as well so i'm thinking something ported.

I'm thinking something along the lines of an Ampeg 410HLF but i'm not sure if that will give me the response i'm looking for. I'd really like to find a Peavey 412 TVX but they seem to be scarce as hens teeth. I don't mind something with a tweeter if i can attenuate it or turn it off. I'd also like something with a high power handling as i'm competing with two half stacks. I'm trying to stay around the $300- $400 range. Looks aren't that important to me.

I have to downsize from an 810 and 215 due to transportation issues.

Thanks in advance.

2. I'd wait for a Peavey 412 TVX. They sound amazing distorted. You shouldn't have TOO much problem finding one. They aren't THAT rare...

Now's a good time to look at Craigslist as people are offloading stuff to have more $$$ for the holidays.

In regards to a 4x10, i use both an Ampeg 410hlf and an Acoustic 410b. They both take distortion well, but the acoustic is about half the price...

3. Powerful Amp (Sunn 300T in my case)+ Fuzz + Peavey TXF / TVX 412 = Total F'N Destruction...

I recently sold mine due to the awkward size & weight, but, have been regretting ever since.

I will tell you that moving an 810 is MUCH easier...

4. You should look into emperor cabs. I don't know if they make a 4x10 but the 4x12's are awesome. Everyone I know that plays bass in metal bands uses em.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Nothing with a tweeter, distortion will toast it.

6. Check out the Bergantino NV412 or NV610.. smaller than what you are using now, and totally killer for what you are looking for.

Can't quite come up with a one way 410 as a recommendation. Of course, Low Down Sound could build one for you. Don has built quite a few 'vintage' 410's and 610's.

7. Dude, Mesa Boogie Road Ready Thiele cab is the ish for that. In second place would be any other Mesa 4x10. But the older ones with the EV speakers have the perfect midrange voice. Just turn off the tweet.

8. Kind of a minor thing, but sometimes the tweeters are crossed over low enough that the drivers don't quite work full range when the tweets are turned off. Again, probably a zero issue with the type of tone the OP is describing, but typically better to get a one way box designed to be a one way box if one wants a one way box (whew, that was three 'one way boxes' in the same sentence!)

9. Plus 1 for the Diesel 410 :bassist:

10. Don't bother with the 410HLF. I owned two of them and the resulting sound was quite terrible. Not a lot of articulation in the midrange, but quite a bit of low end. You will not get the edgy distorted madness with the 410HLF. Believe me, I tried it.

Were you using both the 810 and the 215 at shows? Why don't you just go down to one 810? Are you playing venues with PA support or something? Smaller car?

11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I would look at something with 12's for distortion - I'm sure you can find a nice used 2x12 in that $ range.

12. Smaller car... :( I used to use both cabs at shows and absolutely crush audiences. I like my bass to be Steve Harris loud on albums and at shows and sound guys never liked to comply...

13. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Diesel 4x10 all the way. Shut the tweeter off and go. I take the wheels off and set it on the floor to get that low end rumble. They are beastly. I think they even weigh more than an Ampeg 8x10 they are so beefy, and if you can run that with a diesel 1x15 you will never want anything else!!

14. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Theres a mesa boogie diesel 4x10 on here from a dude named fatbass. $500. Its worth ti

15. re tweeters and distorted bass. My personal preference is to turn them the hells off. Most evey Mesa cab I ever owned (and yeah I have owned many!) has this provision. Most Mesa cabs have a crossover point selection switch too. Which I think they debuted on their 1516b. So yeah, switch it to 4k and turn the tweet off and you should be gold, or as I have with my older pre-diesel 15" cab, the tweet/crossover is just disconnected internally.

Incedentally, as a soundguy I have seen many folks that run them turned on all day long. With fuzz/distyortion/overdrive way up. I do not know if they lasted very long this way of course as I just caught said acts two ro three times at best! I have read elsewhere that some tweeters are more rugged than others. IIRC piezo tweets tend not to blow so easy. Too bad piezo tweets sound like garbage! (puts on camo colored flame resistant overcoat)