1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a 5'er - best bang for the buck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SickAura, May 2, 2018.

1. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Hi All - I am a 4 string player for 30+ years. Never really had a need for 5.

However, I am starting a new project where a 5'er will be more important so I need to consider picking one up.

As my Avatar kind of implies - I play Rock, Hard Rock and Metal

My go to basses at the moment are a Dingwall Super PJ and an Fender AVRI J loaded with Dimarzio Model J's.

I'd like to try to keep it around $500 - $750. New or used doesn't matter.

I'm leaning towards a J - but not opposed to an Ibanez or something else

What's the best bang for the buck out there?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ibanez SR805...

1253486837-20171122-221159144.jpeg

... active option only, on this model. Right in your price range, though... plays more like a six string electric, IMO.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    As far as J's go I"m totally happy with my Fender V although I had to change the pickups to get there. For Rock, Hard Rock and Metal, I would probably lean more toward some Ibanez model in the appropriate price range. Hard to go wrong there. I would do it for the fatter soapbar kind of tone over the clarity of a J. However for me personally, my #1 choice is G&L L2500. really does it all and does it for me. I got mine (used USA L2500) right in your price range.

SickAura likes this.
  4. One of my basses is a Sq Dimension V.... It came with the Fender high mass bridge.... I like the hell out of it...
    Cheap in price but killer quality... MF Stupid Deal for a couple hundred... Sq Dims are discontinued but can be found cheap...

Cool body style, comfortable to play, and punchy as hell...

Mili likes this.
  5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Tmb605 $600 new. Sounds, looks, and plays amazing.
    20180426_074038.jpg 20180426_073946.jpg

Swerve, SickAura and Giffro like this.
  6. I would agree that the Ibanez Tmb605 is one possible option. Another 5 string bass that I think is a "best buy" is the Yamaha TRBX605FM. They are listed at $650 but can be had for less. Sound is personal so let's put that aside for a moment. For the money you aren't going to find a better built, more comfortable bass. In terms of quality of build, on a scale of 1-10 this is an 11. Putting sound back into the equation, to really experience this bass's potential you have to change out the stock D'Addario strings. The stock strings are not representative of how this bass could or should sound like. The few video reviews I heard were "weak". With stock strings, sadly it sounds like the videos. Pay no attention to them. It is a totally different animal with "hotter" strings (I've got DR Pure Blues on now and sounds marvelous). It can run in active or passive mode so there are a lot of tone opportunities once you figure this thing out.

Yamaha TRBX605FM_composite_sm.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Jason Hollar, fender68, Spent and 4 others like this.
  7. SickAura

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Nice bass! I hadn't thought of Yamaha but I am a fan of many of the products. I will definitely check that out

Jason Hollar likes this.
  8. SickAura

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Any other ideas?

9. Someone else mentioned the Squier Dimension V active bass... Here's a deal for ya if you want to go cheap... Squier Deluxe Dimension V Bass 2015 Black | Adam Thompson

Also, if you can find an Ibanez SR5 (not 505) for a decent price in good shape you should check it out. MUCH better quality of body wood than the 505 and sounds killer. Our local GC had one two weeks ago for $650 (NOS) but it's gone now.

edro likes this.
  10. I would go to a store and try a bunch out and find out which ones you find comfortable and which ones don’t and go from there.

There are only a select few 5’ers that feel comfortable in my hands, but there’s no point in listing them because your results will likely vary.

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'll second the Ibby TMB series, and nominate anything by Sire - both have lots of bang for the buck. Check out the Sire M2 and V3 if the budget is tight.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. grifo likes this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    1B4F78CC-881D-4A2B-89F7-6762006B2CBA.jpeg
    Ibanez ATK 305.

She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts, kid. - Han Solo

Mili, Luigir, Nunovsky and 4 others like this.
  14. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    9897b8a73be57ca989a0247037527a9b.jpg

MTD CRB 5. Great B string, easy to play (comfy neck) and a nice P sound with a simple control layout.

Mili and Slapthatplank like this.
  15. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I guess you may find this on classified for about 700. Cant praise it enough.
    Ibanez srsc805. Neckthru, 18 mm at the bridge, light, passive/active...
    20180315_153404.jpg

fender68 and Element Zero like this.
  16. CiaranQ, fender68, Mili and 2 others like this.
  17. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    Bought this 2nd-hand Maruszczyk Jake 5string for €700,-; it has a wonderful low B although it's "only" 34inch scale.

Attached Files:

18. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Yamaha gets another vote, Check out BB series.
    Sire is fine machine.
    Consider Michael Kelly, too

19. I dont care much for that humongous bridge, but that is a really nice looking bass!

BnB

Element Zero likes this.
  20. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I just got a BB735A for 600 euros in almost new condition. It's a great bass for its value. Well built, really versatile, sounds great in active or passive mode, and plays like butter. I absolutely recomend it as an amazing workhorse.

quickfix and Tvrtko like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021