Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me a 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Some time in the future, maybe next year, I'll be looking a getting a 6 string.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I'll probably be buying used. Any recommendations?

I've played very few 6ers, but one that I did play that I liked was the Peavey Cirrus 6.

I also like Yamaha basses, but the John Myung sig that I played was too small string spacing.

I've got long arms and big hands, so scale length isn't an issue. I went from a 34" to a 35" with out any problems.

I'd like to keep it below $1000, preferably towards the $750 range.

Thanks.

PS, I'm looking to string it without the high C (as an option), but what would the lowest string be tuned to? F#?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    SSgt ChaosGwar -

I'd say keep your eyes open for a used Peavey Cirrus as a first choice, they are usually "findable" in the sub-$1000 range.

If you're looking for new, there are a few acceptable (although not as good as the Cirrus) options. I like the Ibanez BTB basses that I've played, they're not bad at all, and the Cort Curbow 6's are fairly decent as well, although I don't care for luthite's tone.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think Yamahas tend to have rather wide string spacing (??)

Anyway, widest is probably Warwick that has an extra wide option on some basses. Perhaps there is a used one at a decent price.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    About a month ago I was in Detroit and went into a store in Waterford,Mi called Motor City Guitar(248-673-1900) and they had a pretty descent used Peavy 6 string cirrus under $780.00

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd put the Peavey TL-6 on that list too. They can be had for less than the Cirri.

6. For some reason, I've seen several used Modulus 6's in the $1000 and under range lately--that'd certainly be a choice to consider, if you can find one.

Mike

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Hey! mike finding a used modulus 6 for a grand or less is a very good deal.where are they at?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks for the info Mike.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Cheap 6er, Cort Curbow. Good quality, yup.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I started 6 on a Carvin, and still have it. It's pretty nice, the Wilkenson bridge gives a useable range of string spacings. The neck is very slim and comfortable. I use Warwick Black label strings, and the B is very tight on this one.

I just don't feel like 6 is my thing anymore though...so I guess I'll be letting it go. It's nice to have around the studio, but I suppose I could turn it into something more useful for me.
    For what they sell for used, I think they're worth considering.

I don't see that anyone addressed your tuning ? yet...
    Most 6 strings are tuned to low B, like a low-tuned 5-string + the high C.

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    As someone said, a used Cirrus 6 would be nice.
    Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=895600956

I played a Washburn 6 for a while. It sucked bad. Worst $400 I ever spent. But, it gave me an idea of what I could do on a good 6.

So I'll wait until I can afford that Smith or Warrior 6 for $3000-$4000 price range.

Somthing like this in a six-stringer would be nice:
    [​IMG]

12. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

I'm not a huge luthite fan either, but the Curbows are intriguing. I'll keep my eyes open for the Peavy Cirrus and the TL-6.

Anders, my 5 string Yamaha has pretty wide spacing, and that is what I like. The only 6 string Yammer I've played was the JM sig, and the neck felt just like my 5er, only with an extra string.

I'm not a huge Warwick fan either. Something about the small bodies and dense woods just doesn't fit right with me. I suppose if I played the right one, though...

I've got some Carvin catalogs, and they look nice. Only thing I've got against them is the headstock design. Looks like they really didn't try very hard. I have no idea how they feel and sound though. I'll see if I can't find one to play.

I've never played a Modulus either, but I've wanted to. No one near me ever has them.

Dreadhead, your bass is pretty cool, can you get me some more info on them? How much did it cost?

Zulu, what kind of bass is that there? I can't read the headstock. Nice looking bass, and interesting pup config.

Gard, I'm not a SSgt... yet. Actually, I don't find out the results until Aug 14th. They might authorize early release of the results. I'll take your calling me SSgt as a good omen though. :D

13. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yO chaos.... don't buy a carvin unless you can play one first.

their guitars are all made by CNC, so if you can get your hands on one w/ similiar electronics as the one you'll buy, you'll have a good idea of how they sound.

I love the way my carvin 5 feels, but the electronics drove me wacko. I just spent ~$400 on new pickups and a preamp, and now its great. Just thought i'd warn you to make sure you try before you buy if you go carvin. If you happen to like the sound though, you can make a killing by going used.

14. A big thing to consider is probably how important the string spacing is to you. As you can guess, it varies pretty widely, and if you like the 3/4" spacing on your Yamaha 5, that's something to take into account when hunting for a 6, 'cause most of them have narrower spacing than that.

Good luck!
    Mike

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yo Chaos,

I also recommend the Cort Curbow.

Its incredibly comfortable for me to play, and I feel the luthite is good for the sound. Punchy with plenty of lows and fairly crisp highs. Its definetly better than many Ive heard.

Its definetly gonna me my first 6.

Peace
    Nick

16. I say Conklin GT-7, it's a very nice bass (active barts and so on) costs only about 1500 $ and the high F string will only make playing easier not more difficult.
    My 2 cents...

17. [​IMG]
    I like this one, it's a SR3006, excelent bass for less money...
    [​IMG]
    The BTB, great bass...

And..
    [​IMG]

The John Pattitucci sig....

18. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe

Well, the luthier who made it was a chief luthier at Warwick for three years. I'm not sure about the price, we are still looking for the perfect electronics to match the custom pickups :D