1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me a backup bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jack Wilcox, Feb 16, 2017.

1. My trusty Ibanez Sr505 poopie the bed on me earlier this week. The bands I'm gigging with currently all require 5 strings, and this was my only 5'er :'( Obviously I'll be repairing the Ibby, but it's become apparent that I need a backup. I'm borrowing a friend's bass for the weekend, but it's very temporary and definitely not for sale.

Here's my criteria:

Must have 5 strings
    Sub - $700 including case
    Prefer active pups
    Prefer longer scale length
    Prefer wide string spacing
    Brand doesn't matter
    CAN NOT HAVE BLACK PAINT!
    NO HIGH-GLOSS CLEARCOAT!

Used or New - doesn't matter as long as it's readily available

Of course I have my eye on a few models already that meet these criteria, but perhaps the TB Hivemind knows of some options that I'm not considering!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You are about to be descended upon by a bunch of crusty old dudes who will tell you that you in fact don't need a backup because in 60 years of professional gigging, uphill both ways, and in the snow, they've never needed a backup even once.

Or perhaps they could learn vicariously through your experience..... Nah, just kidding! That'll never happen.

Oh, and I'd buy another of whatever you've got. Or get a Sire or Squier fiver if you want another flavor and want to keep the cost low due to backup status.

3. Yeah, the Squire Dimension V is actually topping my list right now. Squire has really stepped up their QC in recent years!

4. SQUIER lol not squire

amphlett7 and Rumble Thunder like this.
  5. Riveting information, thx 4 sharing

twinjet, Alex Bass, 40Hz and 3 others like this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Oh look, yet another person on the internet who didn't study statistics, stochastics, and probability!

Kidding! I'm just giving you a hard time, even I will bring a backup bass if it's a super-high profile critical gig.

But I won't take it out of the case, dammit! :)

twinjet, Oddly and Glasiron like this.
  7. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Squier VM or CV Jazz bass and run it through an outboard preamp, I use an Aphex Bass Xciter, sounds amazing !

Wfrance3 and BassLover668 like this.
  8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I am at the age where I am starting to quietly cheer for curmudgeonry. :D

9. SBMM Ray35 or Ray5. Best value out there.

onosson, bigswifty1, andruca and 3 others like this.
  10. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    BTB keep it in the family

Pumpkin, Aqualung60 and wintremute like this.
  11. Dean N

Dean N Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What happened to the 505?

BurnOut likes this.
  12. Tuning peg sheared clean off. Not a difficult fix, but I'd have been SOL at a show!

Also beyond that, the 505 was a 'temporary' bass I ended up keeping. Definitely not my usual cup of tea, but a very good instrument in it's own right!

13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    If by longer scale, you mean long scale, get another sound gear 5er. If you mean 35"+, find a used USA Peavey Millennium. Aaaaahhhhhh-mazing instruments, can be had under $700, and will become your primary.

Timmy-Watts likes this.
  14. Hmmm... Haven't looked into the Millenium series. Any specific model years to look for / avoid?

15. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain ...I'm a rough boy Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    this
    washtubj.

16. FIVE FOOT SCALE LENGTH, SON!
    WATCHU KNOW ABOUT FUNDAMENTAL FREQUENCIES?

Alex Bass and Impermanence like this.
  17. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    G&L Trib L2500. OK, not exactly wide string spacing, but serious bang for buck, crazy versatile fiver that would be a great compliment/alternative to your Ibby.

18. Got one of these as a back up. Tremendous instrument.

19. Funny you should mention that, a local shop had an M2500 that I really enjoyed. May have to look into the l2500...

osonu likes this.
  20. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Have you considered Schecter? Very affortable. All their 5-stringers are 35" scale. Active electronics, and some have active EMG pickups.

They typically make "metal" basses with dark paint, but they have a few that don't follow that trend.

Schecter Stiletto Vintage $449
    [​IMG]

Schecter Stiletto 5 Session $669
    [​IMG]

Schecter Riot 5 Session $669
    [​IMG]

Session basses have active EMG pickups and have a string-thru body

Here's mine!
    [​IMG]