1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a band that uses a ton of different bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BlueShox, Jul 5, 2017.

1. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I've just been getting my feet wet with using effects in the last few months, but I'm interested in trying to find some new-to-me ways to use them. I'm wondering if there are a few modern rock/indie/progressive/whatever bands who's bassist consistently integrates a wide variety of stuff often throughout their songs, something that I could listen to an album of and walk away with some inspiration for how I can use them myself.

Looking for some interesting applications of chorus, flanger, reverb, octave, delay, heavy fuzz, other stuff I'm maybe not thinking of. Ideally the group would be semi-established so if I want to do some pedalboard snooping online I'll be able to find something.

Thanks in advance!

2. Off the top of my head:
    • David Bowie's Blackstar album has great playing by Tim LeFebvre, who uses an OC-2 and TC Corona Chorus on quite a few songs. Check out "Girl Loves Me".
    • Basically the entire Russian Circles discography is a masterclass in great bass distortion tones. First song that comes to mind is Atackla from their album Empros.
    • "Hysteria" by Muse alone probably inspired thousands of bassists to buy a Big Muff. The effect is Big Muff + a rare Japanese distortion called the Animato + a Digitech Bass Synth Wah I think.
    • Tool uses nearly all the effects you've listed. "Jambi" has a very cool flange/delay part in it, and "H." has a great fuzz sound particularly in the beginning. "Disposition" is built around the bassline with delay. Justin Chancellor also uses a lot of chorus and overdrive/distortion.
    • ISIS (the band) kind of has a signature bass sound. Jeff Caxide would use a Boss EQ pedal to cut the lows and boost the highs combined with a Boss harmonist pedal that would give his bass a delay and detune effect. He'd sometimes pair it with a flanger as well. "Ghost Key" is a great example of this sound in action.
    • "Be My Druidess" by Type O Negative is a good example of distortion and chorus being used together.
    • The Cure's album Faith is stuffed with flanger and chorus effects on the bass. "The Holy Hour" is classic bass flanger goodness.
    • Bands like Lightning Bolt, Death From Above 1979, Big Business, and Royal Blood are all bass/drum duets, where the bass fills up the space with a lot of distortion, and sometimes an octave pedal (DFA doesn't use one, but the others do. Royal Blood and Big Business use the EHX POG2 while Lightning Bolt uses an OC-2).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Ephraim, Tourniquet Man, PWV and 19 others like this.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The post above mentions one Muse song, but overall their bassist is one who uses a wide variety of dirt/fuzz/synth/filter/octave. Delay/modulation maybe not so much.

Noylin, seang15, Nunovsky and 2 others like this.
  4. I know Chris Wolstenholme has had a delay on his board but I couldn't tell you what songs he's used it on. Probably for making spaceship noises on stage more than anything.

Adamixoye likes this.
  5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    NERVE

6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Sounds about right

7. loonman555

loonman555

Nov 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I've only heard his delay used on "Map of the Problematique" intro.
    To contribute to the thread, Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine uses a lot of effects and makes some strange noises. "Calm Like A Bomb" (past the intro) comes to mind:

8. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    To me, Doug Wimbish seems to be the master of bass effects. Not sure what bands he's currently playing with, though.

9. If my memory serves me correctly, DFA did a Premier Guitar rig rundown and he had a Micro Pog and an mxr delay

Pacodelivery likes this.
  10. Ah, for some reason I thought his whole setup was just his bass and that Peavey amp.

jazznrick likes this.
  11. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    For something a little different, you could explore some of the jam band stuff - Mike Gordon of Phish uses Source Audio MWD & BEF Pro. David Schools of Widespread Panic uses a lot of delay and some octave. Rob Derhak of moe. uses some distortion and filters as well.

Bioflava and Amory2113 like this.
  12. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Juan Alderlete is constantly making crazy sounds with the Mars Volta and other groups (and has a pretty neat page if you haven't checked it out yet)

Roger Waters did a fair amount of effect heavy stuff with Pink Floyd, delay most commonly.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    PWV, BIG97BEN, seang15 and 11 others like this.
  13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    here's a symposium of effects as used by one Bill Lazwell c. 2000. envelopes, chorus, filtered fuzz, just fuzz...he's also known for using a DOD envelope and a whammy. He has about 600 albums out of dub, avant funk jazz and works allot as a producer, has a huge community of musicians he's worked with over the years. This guitarist is a genius, Fred Frith, plays bass, violin, guitars and prepared guitar on the table concept. He's using some effects here...

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA

15. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I didn't see Royal Blood, listed, but Mike Kerr uses a ton of effects, most notably octave-up to play in the guitar range.

Steadfast likes this.
  16. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    How about Steve Lawson?
    He uses a ton of FX

HolmeBass likes this.
  17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Bootsy's Rubber Band

18. Yeah, Muse and Tool were the first ones to come to my head. with Muse you'll see a lot of fuzz and maybe some envelope filter, Tool you'll see a plurality of different effects. In addition to the ones mentioned, 46&2 uses a flanger, and Justin does some cool thing in The Pot (I don't know what off the top of my head).

The Beatles song Think For Yourself is one of the first to feature a fuzz box on bass (I think).

NIB by Black Sabbath features a cool wah soaked bass solo into a fuzz bass line. I'm pretty sure Geez uses the wah in other tracks too (Electric Funeral maybe?)

Cliff Burton from Metallica was famous for the use of his Morley fuzz/wah. Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) and For Whom the Bell Tolls are good songs to check out.

There's quite a few who are known for their fuzz/OD, like Troy Sanders from Mastodon, and of course Lemmy from Motörhead.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  19. Mikey F

Mikey F

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Living Colour - Doug Wimbash era

20. As mentioned above. Doug Wimbish with Living Color. He gets crazy with the effects. I like effects but this might be a little too over the top for me...
    Here's an example

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021