1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a bass amp rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pineapplehead, Sep 13, 2008.

1. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Sorry if you guys hear this type of post all the time, but I figured I'd come to the guys who know what they're talking bout......

I play in a 90s style alternative band. Kind of pop, a little grungy, a little rocking. I would say the style ranges from Pearl Jam to U2 to Jane's Addiction to Matchbox Twenty. The drummer and guitar players are loud.

I play an Ibanez BTB1005 and an MTD Kingston Heir fretless 5. Right now I'm borrowing an SWR 350 and a Son of Bertha 15" cab. I like the sound of the 15", and the 350 has decent power. I would like more clean power. I can spend around $1900 or so for a head and cab, maybe a few hundred more.

So I'm thinking SWR, Ampeg, GK, Eden...... possibly Genz Benz but the lack of a transformer scares me as I've heard of power problems with sketchy power. I don't think Avatar will ship out here to Hawaii so that's not an option. My initial thoughts are an SWR 550X and a Triad cab, but I have to go play some examples first.

Thanks in advance!

2. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Play as many amps as you can find and make your choice based on that. We can't tell you what sound you're going to like. You have to figure it out for yourself. The brands you listed are a good start. Maybe check out Ashdown while you're at it.

3. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Thanks dude.

4. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    give dave @ avatar a call, he's super into making the customer happy so he'll prolly bend over backwards to get you a cab, thats a good way to do IMO, wish they made 215s :(

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Lack of a transformer? First I heard of that with Genz Benz. It's got a transformer. A very small one, but a transformer nonetheless.

6. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
  7. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Thanks!!

8. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    You're right. I'm speculating a huge transformer provides more protection from power variation, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

9. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First I've heard of that, too. I use an LMII sometimes, and I've never had a problem with power variation. I don't sit there with a multimeter reading the socket every two minutes so I have no idea how much it varies during a gig, but I imagine by now I've used it during voltage drops, and never noticed a thing.

11. pineapplehead

pineapplehead

Mar 27, 2002
    Thanks for the info - that's why I'm here - because I have a lot to learn.

12. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    You could score a great Markbass rig for that kind of money (that's what I play). These are probably the most musical amps I've ever played through, and they are very light, not to mention very competitively priced over say, Genz Benz, SWR, Eden, Trace or Epifani. I would definately find a Guitar Center who carries them and check these babies out.

13. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    +1 in that we can't tell u what sound u're going for, but if I had 2 grand,
    I'd get a Mesa Rig... 400+ into 2x 210's.. that mesa amp has got a smooooooth clean and warm tone and can still get down with the grit if need be. as i see it, this rig can cover all your music bases and then some.. just my opinion.

14. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    +1 MB rigs are pretty dope for the money.. maybe u can drop some leftover cash on pedals