1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me a Bass cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RC_EB, Jul 21, 2012.

1. RC_EB

RC_EB

Jul 21, 2012
    Hi all, first time poster long time viewer of the TB forums.

I'm looking for a mid sized bass cab, and have no idea what I'm looking for. I've played bass for years through the same amp combo and never really got into the tech side of my gear...

Things that will help:
    - I will most likely end up with an Orange TB500, TC RH450/750, or GB Streamliner head.
    - I play mostly Rock/Punk music (I don't use as pick) and currently use a sansamp pedal to get a "dirtier" tone, which I like and find suits the music I currently play.

I like the idea of the TC stacking 210/212 cab combo, but am also looking at the classic Ampeg SVT410HLF and the Orange OBC410 (open to other suggestions). I want to make sure whatever I get will suit my needs now and be useful down the road (can cover a wide range of tones).

I know this should be ultimately decided by my own preferences and trials, but I'd appreciate anyone's quick advice on what I should be picking up!

Thanks!

TC stacking 210/212 cab combo:

SVT410HLF:

OBC410:

Forget those cabs, you should pick up:

2. jmmadar

jmmadar

Apr 13, 2011
    If you're not sure about you're needs, 4x10s are always a safe bet. Check what the amp you use runs at at different ohms, most mid sized amps run most efficiently at 4 ohms, and will run a lesser wattage at 8 (If you have a 500 watt amp for example, it will probably run 500watts at 4 ohms and maybe around 350 at 8ohms). So, if you get a 410 and think you may add another cab in the future, you'll probably want an 8ohm, If you're pretty sure you won't, you probably want a 4ohm to get the most out of your amp (check the amp, many stereo amps will actually need two 4ohms for max efficiency).
    The ampeg 4x10 would be a good bet. The 210 and 212 TC stack you mentioned would be awesome too, however you might not want to go that route if you think you might need the volume of 6 or more speakers in the future (although if you did, you could also just get a 410 later on and run it with the 212 when you need volume, would sound killer.) 10"ers are typically more versatile, they can get pretty close to the lows of the 12s and 15s, but the 12s and 15s can't come close to the detail and punch of the 10s. I have an SWR son of bertha 15" and I love it, I don't use it near as frequently as my 10s live though. It has a dark color,air shaking boominess, and reproduction of the lowest frequencies that the 10s can't quite match. However, it can't get close to the detail and punchiness of the 10s, it makes fast playing on the low notes sound muddy and undefined.
    I love the SWR pre-fender goliath iii 410s, I have two. They have great power handling (rated at 700rms, I think that's a little exaggerated but they are really good, 500 no problem). These cabs sound great and you can easily find them used on talk bass/craigslist/ebay for $250 to $350 if you watch for a bit. If you buy online, it's always good if there's a return policy in case the speakers have some cone crease going on or something (shine a flashlight at an angle across the cones). While they don't quite match the bigger speakers, it's suprising how well the 10s can hit the lowest notes, and you can even get a very muddy, dark, reggae kind of tone out of them if you need to.
    Oh yeah, here's a huge piece of advice. Unless you have a ton of $ to spend and know exactly what you want, always buy used. What ever you were gonna spend on something new, that money will go a lot further buying used equipment. Plus, as long as you take care of your gear, you can always sell it for what you paid for it. This allows you to trade in for different gear as your needs change without wasting money. The only time I would ever buy something new is if I knew exactly what I wanted, had been wanting it for quite a while, and just had a ton of cash to blow.
    Everyone has their preferences, but as long as you get something from one of the more trusted brands you should be good. Oh yeah, I like the Eden's a lot too, you can get reasonable prices on those used. Their higher rated cabs have amazing power handling.
    Hope that helps!

3. There is a ton of info out there why you shouldnt mix cabs. Also there are stickies at the top of the forum explaining a lot of info.

My suggestion would be either the TB500 (or for $100 more the 1000), or a Streamliner 900 into a fEARful 15/6.

4. Or Avatar TB153 if you can't afford the build?

5. Don't buy into the "I need all of my watts from amp" crowd.

Stick with 8 ohm cabs.................

The volume difference between the 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions of the same cab are barely even audible. All committing to a single 4 ohm cab will do is to keep you from expanding your rig in the future.

Also, don't buy into the belief that speaker size determines how it handles lows or highs. Speakers frequency response is a combination of a lot of factors (size is not really one of them).

Do use your own ears and judgement.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Choose from Barefaced, fEARful, or Thunderchild. They are cutting edge, top of the line and simply unmatched.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Looking for a cab? Check out the Bag Ends listed in the forum for cabs. It's a 410 that kicks out some real sound and it's under $400. Located mere minutes from NYC

8. Pyramid City

Pyramid City

Mar 4, 2012
    I have an Ampeg svt410HLF paired with an Orange Terror Bass 500 Head. things sounds amazing to me. PLENTY of lows and very punchy. Kinda the best of both worlds if you are looking for an articulate cab the can give you plenty of lows at the same time. i am going to be playing the rig for the rest of my known existence hahaha. if i want a different sound im still going to keep that rig and buy another. and the head is only 10 pounds because it is a hybrid head. still some killer tones out of it.

9. Pyramid City

Pyramid City

Mar 4, 2012
    and also one more thing, i play punk rock and rock music. i also dont use a pick either. and i have a few pedals to really get a dirty tone going. the natural tube overdrive from the Terror bass head is awesome. Im playing with a Music Man stingray 4 string.

10. RC_EB

RC_EB

Jul 21, 2012
    Thanks for the advice all.

I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the SVT410HLF, I can get a PN-410HLF for pretty much the same price right now though so I'm on the fence, the PN is lighter (which is nice) but what sacrifices am I making there?