1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a brand of "expensive" chocolate?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Sep 21, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm looking to get a box of chocolate, because the old lady says she's never had Godiva chocolate. After doing some research online, it seems to me that there are better brands of chocolate, such as Valrhona. The problem is, I can't exactly get some fancy pants chocolate that's from Europe before this Tuesday.

So, does anyone know any good chocolate brands in the US? Preferably one with retail stores, such as Godiva? I can always get stuff there, but I am curious to see if you guys know of a better alternative for me. So long as the taste and presentation are top notch, I'm happy to get them.

2. ahkiatt

ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Singapore
  3. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Here's a link to the Scharffen Berger website. Pretty good stuff and you can get it at markets like Whole Foods, if you have that in your area. They have bar chocolates and other things; not really "box of chocolates" sort of stuff. My wife uses it for cooking and says its better than a lot of stuff out there. And it can be expensive. Good luck.

http://www.scharffenberger.com/default_home.asp

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Definitely go to the health food stores and the gourmet food stores, they will have really nice chocolate such as Valhrona, Dagoba, Blanxart (my favorite), Theo, Fran's, Green & Black, etc.

Godiva is yucky crap, a leftover from the '70s when people thought anything fancier than a Hershey bar was gourmet. Chocolate has improved by huge amounts since then.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm no connoisseur, but I know what I enjoy and this stuff is great.

http://www.lindtusa.com/

I don't think you guys have Thornton's in the US, but if you do, they're another good bet for stuff that's a bit more classy than the run of the mill.

6. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    Neuhaus
    Corne
    Leonidas

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Anything made in Belgium. I like it dark. 65% and up.

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Look up J. Dorian chocolatier in Addison, Texas. www.jdorian.com
    My wife is a huge chocolate fan/snob and we actually went to the shop when we lived in Dallas. I don't eat the stuff but my wife had a borderline religious experience.

Amazing chocolate (quality, taste, texture) made on site by a really nice guy.

9. Sexual Chocolate!!!!!

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    +1

May I add simple Côte d'Or to that?

It's not as exclusive as Neuheus, but it's damn good.

11. oh yeah Cluizel chocolates are awesome!!! Try to get the first plantation in Madagascar edition, they're just out of this world.

12. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Thanks for the recommendations. Does anyone know actual places to get this stuff in the US though? I'm looking up gourmet food stores in Jacksonville, FL. But I'd also like to know if the stuff you all are recommending is something readily available to you, or if you've had it like twice in your life. Because like I previously said, I'd really like it before Tuesday. I know it could be impossible, but I'm still asking in hopes that someone can recommend me a brand and store to buy it. In the US.

13. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    jacques torres makes crazy good stuff.

has a couple of stores in NYC....and his factory is on the first floor of my office building. The smell is irresistible!

http://www.jacquestorres.com/

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That boy's good!

I was in a short lived cover band with that name. . .

16. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Yes, I was going to check the local health/organic stores. Thanks for taking the time to look for those for me though!

17. +1, that stuff IS great.

18. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    FWIW. If she says she's never had Godiva chocolate (which was a hint), you should get her Godiva chocolate. Don't disappoint her.

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    +1000

Lindt chocolate is the SX of the chocolate world. Great value for the money. Especially the milk chocolates. The secret is in the Cocoa Butter :)

20. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I just got back from looking for other brands. All they had was bars of chocolate. Normally, that would be fine, but Tuesday is our anniversary. These chocolates are just one present for her. So presentation was pretty important. Thus, I ended up paying $42 for a fancy box of Godiva.