1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a cheap, lightweight combo amp that goes low

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, Nov 30, 2018.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, it took a few gigs but I am all in on this IEM thing. So much in fact that I had considered going completely amp-less but the only thing holding me back is that I like feeling that bass behind me and on the floor.

So, an amp-less setup is probably not for me but do want to downsize and I don't want to keep hauling out my high end Mesa or Berg gig rigs when all I really need is basically a personal subwoofer. I'm hoping I can find a cheap, small, lightweight combo that can thump just enough to compliment what I'm hearing in my IEMs. I don't care if it sounds like do-do because my Subway DI is feeding what I and the rest of the band hear in our ears and any sound the combo amp makes will most definitely get drowned out by our FOH mix (also my Subway DI feed).

Any recommendations out there? :thumbsup:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I were you I'd get over not having an amp. Sure, having an amp is fun, but in your case it sounds superfluous.

3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Easy. Cheap + lightweight + low = fender rumble.

I run a Tonehammer or ampeg pf 50 t into a barefaced cab for the same purpose. But that is the expensive and lightweight solution.