1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend Me a Cheap Octaver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EADG mx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    1 oct down and blend needed. Any other features a plus.

Need something that tracks well on bass and guitar (would be using primarily for guitar) and can do 100% wet.

Need a clean bass sound, nothing distorted/synth-like.

I'd like to keep it cheap as I can't justify dropping too much on this.

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    maybe a EHX octave pedal?

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    it's not cheap.....but i would recommend a ehx pog

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You won't get both up and down with blend for cheap. Micro Pog is the pedal you want, but it'll cost ya.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    maybe buy a used Boss OC-2 or OC-3 on ebay.

6. hey, why would you need an octave up for bass parts on guitar? surely you would just need an octave down and your guitars clean signal blended in?

either way, may answer is the same: micropog

you can play chords and it wont freak out, and you can play as low or high as you want (even on bass) and it'll still do its job.

its not cheap, but it'll do what you want

7. For cheap (and neither do octave up - you won't get that until you get into micro-pog price territory) the Boss OC-2. Not the absolute cheapest but reasonable quality and good value. The Digitech Bass Synth Wah can also do the octave down thing and is pretty similar to the Boss as far as sound, tracking, etc. It's also pretty cheap on the 'Bay. The Boss also does 2 octaves down but I haven't found a use for this in real world gigs.

I've got both the Boss and the Digitech and find them pretty well interchangeable as far as octave duties go - similar sound and tracking accuracy. The Digitech has the bonus of some sick synth and envelope filter noises.

Be aware that both of these AREN'T harmonisers - they work out the pitch of the input signal and put out a square(ish) wave an octave below.

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    More a somewhat smooth to my (untrained) ears, not squareish at all I didn't think. I would also say that the digitech tracks better with less effort, but they are indeed in the same price range. I would closer relate the tones of the OC3 and the BSW than I would the analog OC2.

For an OC2 tone without the 'OC2 money' ($50) you can get an Arion MOC-1 which is an OC2 clone and is very faithful to the original. I just found one used for $20- but again this doesn't do a +1oct, though I don't know why you'd need it to!

The cheapest -1/+1 octaver I can think of is the Pollyanna, though it is a squarewave octaver and doesn't track so hot and it's a crunchy squarewave, so for the purpose of playing bass parts with a guitar it would be no good.

9. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I would be using it primarily for -1oct. Having +1oct wouldn't hurt. No need for -2oct. Not sure if I'd want other intervals.

The hunt for the best octaver for my needs thus far:

EHX MicroPOG - does what I need but no other features.

Boss OC2 - can't argue with the price, no +1 oct but I could live without.

Boss OC3 - just seems like a nicer OC2, not sure whether it's worth the extra features.

Digitech Bass Synth - will this do a clean suboctave or a synthy wave sound?

Boss PS5 - nice, on the pricier side, but lots of features.

Arion MOC-1 - cheap enough but is this going to give me any useable sounds?

EBS Octabass - does what I need, lacking in features, any good with guitar?

EHX Octave Multiplexer - any info?

EHX POG - very nice but I couldn't justify dropping that much $ on an octaver.

Digitech Whammy - too expensive, don't really need the shifter.

MI Audio Pollyanna - pricey and according to fightthepower, no good for my purposes.

MXR M-88 - discontinued (?)

Ampeg SCP-OCT - discontinued.

Guyatone MO3 - from the looks of it, distorted and synthy.

Am I missing anything? Also, how do you do strikeout text on this board?