1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend me a couple tunes to jam around

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Number27, May 9, 2010.

1. i just started in this new band, and for once we're all fairly competent at our instruments and i'd like to get one or two simple tunes down that we can turn into a fun little jam. something not to long winded or fancy, and preferably something sort of recognizable to most people. i listen to a lot of dead, airplane, allman bros, etc. but i'm thinking those might be a little out of reach right now...

what songs do you guys usually jam out of?

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    How about "Hey Joe" ? Also "Tush" ZZ Tops.......These are some of the songs I've been jamming on to get me ready to get back to playing in bands after a long long lay - off...I know there are others but I got these and others from a working bands playlist and you need relevelant songs that everybody knows and does.....good luck :cool:

3. nobody else has any suggestions? :(

4. Sunshine of your Love - CREAM could be super fun
    Riders on the Storm - The Doors

5. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Rock'n'Roll (LedZep)

Immigrant Song (this one's pretty fast, but excites everyone in the audience)

6. Toyoman

Toyoman

Mar 3, 2007
    Cocaine Eric Clapton

Can't you see Marshall Tucker Band

Feel like making love Bad Company

7. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt

Aug 17, 2007
    Houston, TX
    One way out - You listed Allman as a favorite band of yours. This is Classic Allman that should be fun and does not sound too tough. Simple blues progression. I need to get my buds in my jam band to work on this.

You mentioned trying to stay away from long-winded. What you can do is work on a Medley of tunes from a single band.

In our informal jam band, the drummer and I have been working on a Zep medley (we need something to do while we wait for our guitar player to show up. heh.) We just play a Zep riff, and work out exactly how to transition into the next Zep riff. It's been interesting to figure out the ideal order and how one will flow into the other and also on how best to work on signalling one another. All good stuff. We tack on a new riff every other jam or so. Just a suggestion if you want to jam on several individual tunes and just play the recognizable parts and not get too long-winded about it. Good luck.

I feel your pain about finding good simple tunes. The catalog of songs to choose from is so huge. Sometimes I wish there was a database listing sorted by complexity of all blues/rock songs. From there I would just go down the list and pick the next complex one to work on that appealed. lol. I'm not kidding. :meh::) I guess complexity is too subjective a thing for any list like this to be created. heh.

8. ooo, i do love the medley idea, back side of Abbey Road sorta thing. nice.

that zeppelin medley you've got going on with your drummer sounds fancy. what's the progression you've worked out? i was thinking (off the top of my head) "what is and what should never be" into "ramble on" into "communication breakdown" into "living loving maid".. or something like that.

9. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Rancid; And Out Come the Wolves: Maxwell Murder
    Queensrych; Empire: Della Brown

10. Trex -Jeepster

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Fire On The Mountain. Fun little bass line.

12. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    "Stormy Monday" is a bluesy jam that allows everyone room for experimentation!

X8

13. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt

Aug 17, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. It's been a hoot. Just 4 tunes (partial tunes of course) at the moment.
    How many more times
    Rock & Roll
    Heartbreaker
    Livin Lovin Maid

That's the cool thing about Medleys. Its someone else's tunes of course (covers), but you can mix em up and arrange in a 'original' way to satisfy your own creative urges. Getting the exact breaks down and transitioning is not always working out. How many more times riff going into Rock & Roll still fails half the time. heh. Even when we're sober. We are newbs to the band thing so it is all just fun stuff.

Gotta split and do job-hunting stuff. :spit: Rather be jamming or surfing TB.

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For a group of beginners, it's hard to beat a simple 12 bar Blues. There's thousands of songs based on that structure.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

With us, the song that tends to become the thing we just jam on is Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance." It's a pretty simple song, but once we've been through the verses and choruses we pretty much just get going and jam the thing till we've had enough.

16. bluesbasshound

bluesbasshound

Jan 31, 2006
    Florida
    Cissy Strut by The Meters, nice easy tune with good jam sections.

17. good good, i like the suggestions. good call on the 12 bar jive!

yea, i can imagine that rock & roll would be hard to transistion into because that drum intro makes you stop everything. although if you kept the bass going on How Many More Times while the drummer breaks out the intro to Rock & Roll that would be a very cool effect.

18. dg123

dg123

Feb 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hendrix stuff is good to jam on. Fire, All Along The Watchtower, Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile, etc. Cream is also nice. Zeppelin is a bit difficult I feel, maybe something like Dazed and Confused or Lemon Song if you can get it. One good way my band jams is simply to not end a song and keep playing whatever and see where it goes (wouldn't try that live though.)