1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommend me a d.i. box?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by affro, Aug 31, 2008.

1. hi guys

i got my tax return and with my ever increasing number of gigs i've decided it's time to invest in my own d.i. box (mostly for live use - i only record 1-2 times a year and often use the studios d.i.)

i'm looking in the $200AUD range (AUD and USD fairly similar at the moment).

so far i've come across the boss DI-1 and the radial proD1 - can anybody give me some feedback on these models or recommend me something else good in the price range?

FYI i use a stingray 5 and a few effects every now and then. and i also tried a few searches but its hard when 'di' is a small word :meh:

thanks heaps :bassist:

2. radial di's are equipped with jensen transformers...

you really want a di that has a transformer...(the only TRUE way to bust ground loop hums)...

the jensen transformers are the best in the business...

radials aren't cheap..but they're quality all the way...

3. tech21 - SABDDI

Still the leader.

CP

4. Radial is the way to go.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Not all Radials have Jensens. The ProDI is their $100 lower end box. For the Jensen, get the Radial JDI ($200 US).

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I generally use the DI on my rig but I'm also using a Seymour Duncan Paranormal that I received in trade. Smacks of the BDDI as it offers 3 band EQ and solid metal construction but no drive, blend, or volume / level. Sounds pretty decent, too. The mid is centered at ~650 hz which, to my ears, is perfect.

Riis

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Radial JDI, Countryman Type 85, and BSS AR-133 are the industry standards. There may be fancier DI's, and there may be cheaper DI's, but there are very few that have the solid dependable always-good-sounding reputation of those three.

8. todegard

todegard Bassist

Sep 24, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I've been using a Countryman type 85 for the last 12 years and been very happy with it. It's a very good sounding DI that is very solid built.

Tommy

9. awesome, thanks heaps for all this advice!!

the countryman85 definately looks in my price range. i've also had a good look at the jensen range and have confused myself some more haha. can somebody please tell me what the main difference is between the JDI and the J48 (i realise one if passive and one is active, but is there an advantage in having one or the other?)

i also assume that the boss model isn't as good as any of these others because nobody has mentioned it?

edit: as far the active boxes go, what is better countryman85 V J48?

10. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    IME (direct comparison) the Radial J48 sounds better than the much lauded SansAmp. I expect that the Pro48 is very close. I'd stick with an active DI, as you'll need that should you ever use a passive bass. (And use the Pad, as the Radials are quite hot.)

There's one made down under that's said to be quite good, but I can't think of the name.

11. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    all of those are nice, and not entirely cheap. i still want a sansamp, and maybe one day i will buy one (after wanting one for many years).

me? i still use the same old cheap direct box i have for the last 15 or so years: a store-branded whirlwind. just a plain old DI with a ground lift. i think i paid about $30 for it back in the 90's.

FWIW

12. jdb

jdb

Jun 18, 2007
    probably on the road
    endorsing artist: ampeg, dimarzio, dean markley, jim dunlop
    the point for you to own your own di is that your sound will never change. when you use "house" di's every night, you get whatever they have. and that will affect the sound going into your amp differently every night. i have used all of the above and they are all fantastic, and they have all outlasted the foh guys. it's true some have better parts, but if you're just gigging around and looking for stability, any of the above that you like (you should DEFINITELY play all of them through your rig) should be fine.

13. jdb

jdb

Jun 18, 2007
    probably on the road
    endorsing artist: ampeg, dimarzio, dean markley, jim dunlop
    fwiw, i am using a radial JDI at this time

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I concur with these. The Countryman is active and the Radial JDI is passive. If you want an active Radial, the J48 is the way to go. Radials pop up in the ads here from time to time. I've bought two of each here for about $120 each.

15. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    There was a very good article that I came across awhile back comparing various DI boxes on a 'scope. The Countryman Type 85 came away the winner. You should know, though, that the Countryman Type 85 is "pin 3 hot", which means it's polarity reversed compared to most other gear out there. You may have problems if your board doesn't have polarity switches. You could also make a polarity reversing XLR-XLR jumper and drop that in your bag, just in case.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have the Radial ProDI. I think live you would not be able to tell the ProDI from the JDI. I use the ProDI mainly with active guitars (yes guitars, don't ask :( ).

The countryman works really well with my passive P basses.

Amper, I did not know the countryman was wired different.... I have never had a problem with it. What can happen if the polarity is wrong?

17. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    It just means your signal will be 180˚ out of phase (assuming you're pluging into a board which is "pin 2 hot", the new standard), which may or may not cause cancellation problems with other signals. Usually, it's a non issue.

The Countryman Type 85 was designed before an XLR wiring standard was set, and Countryman won't change the Type 85 so as to avoid having different units out there with different polarity.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought they changed that a while back. Maybe not. I've never had any issues with them.

20. Another (probably sutpid) question - what is the main advantages/disadvantages of an active DI Vs a passive one? :help: