1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a Fuzz!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by open_space, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I need your help!

I finally decided that I need a fuzz pedal. Not a distortion, not an overdrive pedal but a good fuzz pedal that I can use on certain song parts.

I use a passive jazz bass and I play in an indie rock band. I plan on using this pedal occasionally, it won't be an effect that will be always on.

I searched for a good fuzz pedal on this forum and read many threads, but I am still confused. Here is what I need: must retain low end (not boost it really) and no crazy fuzz sounds. Just a good mellow (should I say light?) fuzz with good definition and not much buzziness. I kinda know what I want but I can't really describe it. I hear it in my head but I haven't found it yet.

I have attached a part of the song by a band called Travis. I think that I am hearing bass with a fuzz pedal and it sounds similar to what I want.

Attached Files:

2. anyone?

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    can't hear the clip at work but the Pickle Pie B is a very tweakable Fuzz from right down low to all out stupid, plus it has an amazing blend. Could be an option

4. Yes, I know about this pedal but there are two things that I am concerned about: price and size. I would really prefer a bigger box, not an MXR size enclosure.

Anything else? What about MESSdrive? Will it give me this sound?

5. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I don't have experience with a wide variety of fuzz pedals, but if you're looking for the sound in that Travis clip (cool clip by the way, I like Travis but don't have that particular album yet) look for a pedal with the capability of blending in some dry signal, because that's what I'm hearing. The new Bass Big Muff blends a dry signal in on one of the settings but from what I understand you have no control over the amount of dry, so I'd look for something a little more flexible.

6. The new album is out this week!

I agree on blending. That's what I am looking for.

7. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Why a bigger box?

Whats your price range as this will help to narrow down the options

8. I don't know, I just like bigger boxes. Not a fan of MXR sized pedals, but I could probably learn to live with that.

Price range - up to $200.

9. Personally I think that sounds more like a medium-high gain overdrive than a fuzz.

10. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I agree w/ the Bass Big Muff comment. For the price (under $100) and the ability to blend, it's worth a shot...

www.thevintagesound.com has it for $77!

11. Thanks, but I am not sure that Bass Big Muff is what I am after. I tried a usual one and wasn't impressed. It's not tight and hardly controllable, plus sucks mids and gets lost in a band context.

12. Oh, by the way, I live outside US, so $77 will be more likely around $100 if you add shipping.

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Supercollider - Muff on steroids with more low end plus an added mids knob!

14. How about the Malekko B:Assmaster? (Silicon or Germanium)

Does anyone have comments on their experience with this box? I believe JMJ uses one.

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    An "amazing" blend?

Don't get me wrong I like my PPB but the first time I turned the wet/dry blend knob my head didn't explode out of sheer amazement.

16. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    My understanding is all the Big Muffs are somewhat different. Try before you buy, but I wouldn't dismiss it based on a different type of Big Muff.

17. durarl

durarl

Oct 29, 2007
    I have been a big fan of the English Muffin. It can go from nothing, to faint fuzz, and all the way up to obnoxious Plus it comes in a big box.

18. Seriously listen to the clip he gives. I reckon he's thinking overdrive, just from the way he describes the tone he's after too.

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    +1 I'm thinking a medium overdrive as well. It's not fuzzy enough to be a fuzz. I could get it with my sansamp if I pushed it.

20. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    mine did. I had to grow a new one overnight. my pillow was a right mess :ninja: