1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend Me a Gig Worthy Rig For $1400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Alias, May 24, 2019.

1. Mark Alias

Mark Alias

May 24, 2019
    Hi there, Long time viewer, first time posting.

A little about myself, I'm 47 years old and picked up the bass as way of dealing with a mid life crisis at the age of 45 so yeah I only have 2 years playing experience and I'm very green in every sense of the word. I wanted a motorcycle wife said no and so bass it is. 6 months ago I joined my first and only band, it's a hobby and we have played already 4 live shows and we practice every weekend and looking to play more live shows and possibly some outdoor fairs. We play mostly classic rock covering a wide spectrum of music, the heaviest being ACDC we do some U2, Pink Floyd, CCR, Skynard. I currently play a Yorkville 200w 115 combo and have always gone through the FOH except one time we opened for another band and I got to play a SVT-CL through an 810 which the best sounding thing I've ever heard but I have no interest in schlepping such a heavy thing around.

I'm looking for a bass rig preferably separate head and cab preferably for around $1400. I live in a very small town so no opportunity to try a bunch of different stuff, and I will be buying online. I want something that is warm, smooth and big sounding while still being able to differentiate between the E and the F. My bass is a Mexican active PJ

So I have been auditioning amps online via listening to youtube videos and I can't come up with any amp that I truly love, for example I listened to a video on the Genzler Magellan 800 and thought it was awesome sounding and then watched 3 more videos on the same product and thought it was soulless, and to hi fi sounding. I watched a video on a Warwick LWA 500 and thought it sounded brilliant and watched another that sounded like crap. Than I saw a video from Andertons on the Peavey Headliner 1000 and thought it sounded awesome but there was no other videos to compare, there was quite a few on the Peavey Mini Mega and I read it was pretty much the same internals as the headliner 1000 and I didn't like any of the videos I saw on the Mini Mega. I also saw a few videos on the Ampeg PF800 and it didn't sound all that good to me the SVT 7 Pro sounded a bit better but in reality I still wasn't sold. Same with Mesa everyone here on TB seems to rave about them but I found every video seemed to be mid to high end heavy. I finally researched vintage sounding class D and it seems the word vintage is synonyms with distortion according to youtube, hence why I signed up here t see what the good people of TB would recommend.

In the end I think I want a class D because of weight and I would like something with Aux in and headphones for learning new material while being able to sound warm, smooth and fat without sounding like an angry beehive.

As for cabs I was thinking one 410 cab, I mean I've only ever played four shows in small clubs of between 50-100 people, I think I would prefer to go with one cab, the less to carry the better.

Thanks for all your considerations and remarks

Mark

DaveDeVille and fhm555 like this.
  2. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Since you liked the SVT/810, at your price point, you could get the SVT's pseudo-little brother the V4B and an SVT212AV cab (used). The V4B scratched my tube amp itch, and a lot of folks here say the SVT212AV has an 810 vibe without the schlep. The head is 41 lbs, so not light, but... tubes. :thumbsup: You can also add a second SVT212AV later if you need it.

For the size shows you play, a V4B will certainly be enough (mine's been great for about that size crowd), and you can take a line out to FOH from the head if you need more.

For the Aux in and headphones side of things, you can also consider an Ampeg SCR-DI pedal/preamp; SVT-type tone circuit and a overdrive pedal in one. Full disclosure, I've never tried one of these.

If you really want Class D, I've found that my TC Electronic BH250 with a "Tube Drive" Tone Print (built in digital effects) cops a decent Ampegee sound with my Ampeg cabs. It has Aux in and headphone out too, as do its bigger siblings the BH550 and BH800. You can tell it's not the real thing, at least when practicing alone. I've been happy with its tone in a band mix setting though.

Good luck and have fun trying out rigs!

onamission, Kevnn4, lowendrv and 3 others like this.
  3. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    The Fender Rumble 800 amp head & Rumble 410 cab would be a great choice for the type of music you guys play, and should be plenty loud even for outdoor gigs. It's also under budget and that classic silver grill cloth on the rumble looks great on stage imo! Good luck sir!

4. 60237938.

YouTube videos are notoriously misleading because of the way the sound is recorded; it always varies.

Results vary, but a couple of highly respected class D heads around here would be the Mesa D800/D800+/WD800, & the Quilter Labs Bass Block 800. The Quilter can be found for very reasonable prices on the used market. I've tried both (Quilter & D800) & to me anyway, they are the only class D amps I would consider. They don't sound...well, like class D, ha ha. Then again I also live in a "dry" area & haven't tried everything, so grain of salt & all that.

As far as cabs, you're on the right path. 4x10, 2x12, etc, but may I humbly suggest starting with an 8 Ohm cabinet, that way you could add a 2nd 8 Ohm cab down the road (if needed) without any issues.

5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    T.M.I. (Too much information!). Just go with GK, and you'll be a happy camper!:thumbsup:

6. Mark Alias

Mark Alias

May 24, 2019
    Thanks for the advise so far.

I must admit, maybe to my own ignorance, but I would be worried gigging a digital head, do I have a legitimate concern or is a digital head like the TC BH series rugged enough to gig?

The Fender Rumble 800 looks interesting, I'm presently at work but I'll give a listen when I get home after midnight.

I agree Keger Jupit that youtube videos are very misleading but on the other hand I use as a mild reference if you will. I also agree with your take on the 8 ohm cab.

Thanks to all for the awesome recommendations and advice.

Keep it coming

Mark.

Keger Jupit likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's better having two cabs. It's easier to carry, you can stack them vertically, and you can keep one where you practice and one where you rehearse.

Wolford, LiquidFudge, spvmhc and 3 others like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I bought a Fender Rumble 500 for a backup to my GK MB500 and liked it so much that I use it for my rock gigs now.

Their cabs are decent, but not as light or small as some. But definitely worth checking out. You could get a pair of 210s, which would cover anything.

Resound are great cabs for the money - small, light, loud, and great sounding. But they might stretch your budget a bit. PM the ownder/builder @dawind99. David will be happy to talk with you.

9. FDR Jones

FDR Jones

Apr 7, 2018
    Two 2x8 cabs would be nice.

Mark Alias likes this.
  10. Mark Alias

Mark Alias

May 24, 2019

What about Avatar B410 Deltalite II Special? On sale for $539 4 ohm 1000 watts capable. I know nothing about them but it seems that doing a little research that there were really well liked on TB about 10 years ago for a cheap cab.

aprod likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't skimp on the cab. The the one thing in your rig where you don't want to be lacking.

12. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    A BH head should be rugged enough as long as you are not throwing it against the wall or kicking it off the cabinet. :D

Seriously though, the chassis are metal and seem to be as rugged as any other Class D amp I've seen. They are not actually a digital amps, but are Class D like other brands, but include a digital effects circuit, which can be turned off. TC is well known for quality effects, so the effects circuit seems to be pretty good on my BH250. My 250 is also only like 4 lbs, and fits very nicely in a small laptop style bag with cables and accessories, so I can carry it, a bass in a gig bag and my 2 Ampeg SVT210AVs all in one trip, if I care to.

Kevnn4 and Mark Alias like this.
  13. Mark Alias

Mark Alias

May 24, 2019

Thanks for the awesome response.

Cheers

CTBassGuy likes this.
  14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    6B95C1E6-7D08-4DE4-9C4B-3D4731B64BD3. 66ADB4D4-102D-42D4-BBCB-8BD55F6134C9.
    This is what you want.

Gallien Krueger MB-800 fusion head.

Gallien-Krueger 800 watt 410 cabs.

Your good to go.

Rodo78, jdhard, LiquidFudge and 3 others like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    GK is another good $$$ option.

Rodo78, StringslamDan and Mark Alias like this.
  16. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Welcome.
    My opinion, for what little it's worth is: Mesa. Quality, reliability, and versatility. @buldog5151bass brings up a salient point ... cabs are a key component. A third consideration: buy gently used whenever possible.
    All this stuff was picked up that way, much of it here on tb.
    20190408_154652.
    20181129_081831.
    20180116_052748.

Mark Alias likes this.
  17. Mark Alias

Mark Alias

May 24, 2019
    Question, I suppose any amp can be made to sound somewhat warm put I always thought GK's were known for being inherently punchy, bright, articulate and somewhat in your face, growing up in the 80's I know GK's became popular in the late 80's and onward. When I think of GK I think of Duff Mckagen, Rachel Bolan, Flea and their tone was far warm, fat and smooth sounding. I do know they make quality stuff and I'm not opposed to owning one, just wondering if it can give me the tone I'm looking for, maybe with the right cabs? I don't know.

Coot and orangejulius3 like this.
  18. Mark Alias

Mark Alias

May 24, 2019

That is some nice stuff. I'm not opposed to buying used if the product is in great condition.

gozbass likes this.
  19. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I think that with good research, patience, and a bit of luck, you can get to where you want to end up.

Happy hunting.

Mark Alias likes this.
  20. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    Consider weight, GK mb800 and some NEO cabs. A younger local bass player slipped and fell well loading his bass rig he now play class D and small light weights cabs that can handle a tone of power.

Mark Alias likes this.