Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me a good cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Sep 26, 2005.

1. That I don't have to spend big $$$ on that sounds clean and deep. Should I go for the 1x15, 4x10 route? I need deep clean bottom. And where can I find this used

2. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Check out Bass Northwest's used stuff. They are a good shop. Have also bought stuff from Bass Central. They may have something.

The best way to determine if you want a 4x10 or a 2x12 or a 1x15 or a would be to listen to them. Remember 15's sound best when you are standing at least ten feet away from them. I would go with 4x10 or a 2x12. 4x10's sound way better than a 1x15 IMHO.

You will probably be hearing about Avatar and SteelSound from folks here. I don't have any experience with them.

In used, I would try to find an Ampeg, Bag End, Genz Benz or an OLD SWR. You can usually find those on the cheap.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

3. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Fawkes is absolutly right you get what you pay for. If its a standalone cab dont get a 1x15. I would probably get a 4x10 unless you plan on only using it for practice than a 2x10 would be alright. I have to put my 2 cents in for ampeg. I've owned several of their cabs and loved all of them. They are built like tanks and sound good. you should check out the 410HLF kind of pricey but awesome low end for a 4x10.

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

where are you located?

I've got a used Ampeg svt pro-410hlf (1200watts/4ohms) for sale, but shipping it is not really practical. Its got great low rumble with solid punch.

5. Try the classified section of TalkBass! Lot's of good people selling lots of great gear.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good advice!

the used market is a good way to save $$$

the big thing to watch out for with cabs is blown or tired drivers. Also, shipping can be a bit expensive for 'em, so see if you find one semi-local.

used bag end S15s usually go for around 300, and are good stand alone cabs, aguilar gs112s also go for about the same. If you find one in good shape, a used swr goliath1, goliath2, or eden 410T (not xlt - those will be a bit more expensive) go for less than $400. etc....etc.........

also, avatar cabs have a lot of fans on the boards. not the most cutting edge technology, but they seem to offer an exceptional value, and are no slouches.

if you can find one and dont mind the weight and size, an old peavey 215 cab with black widows (and make sure it's the dep version, not the 13" deep narrow one) is one heck of a cab, and should run you 300 or so.