1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recommend me a good power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RwG, Apr 30, 2006.

1. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    I've had my fill of my Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, I suppose some people love it but it's just not for me, I want clarity and punch and i'm not getting it. So...I'm planning on going to pre/power route. Without being able to really try all of them I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations. I was thinking either the Crown CE2000 or the QSC PLX 1602. I'm basically looking in the $500-$600 range. I'll be running into an Ampeg SVT410HLF and or a SVT810.

I'm considering the BBE BMAX or the Tech 21 RBI (leaning toward the BBE sinve i already have the sansamp bddi).

thanks

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I had really good luck with my QSC PLX 2402, and I'm guessing the 1602 is no different. Kinda heavy though.

Stewart amps also come highly recommended around here. I liked my Stewart 1.2 and often wish I had it back. The 1.2 is a lot lighter than the 1602, but less power. Not sure of weights on the Stewart 1.6 or 2.1, tho'.

dcr

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I haven't had a bit of problem out of my QSC.

4. Not what you were asking, but have you thought about the ampeg SVP-CL? It has clarity and punch over the newer ampeg sound with that great vintage sounding growl (its essentially the preamp section that was used in vintage SVT's)

- Will

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    21 pounds is kind of heavy? :rollno:

PLX would be good. If you don't mind the weight, I hear Crest CA-9s are really great, and can be had used for $600 or so. My Carvin DCM1000 never failed me, and I'm sure that their other amps are just as good.